• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skybus to start flying May 20

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I saw one of their planes in CMH yesterday, it was actually going flying. Good LORD that thing is ugly...

I don't give 'em long.... Remember Legend?

Other than being startups, what do these two airlines have in common?

There are many differences:

Legend: Old airplanes, business class config, operated in SWA's hometown, limited cash.

Skybus: New airplanes, all coach (I think), not operating in any other airline's hub, plenty of cash.

Not that I want them to succeed though.

GP

Could someone please post the article? I don't want to join their website.

The race to the bottom accelerates.

Other than being startups, what do these two airlines have in common?

There are many differences:

Legend: Old airplanes, business class config, operated in SWA's hometown, limited cash.

Skybus: New airplanes, all coach (I think), not operating in any other airline's hub, plenty of cash.

Not that I want them to succeed though.

GP

Yes, but they are flying mainly out of CMH, which was already tried by AWA years ago. Not enough traffic. Great college (OSU) and football/basketball team, but not a good place for a hub. Sorry. Not many people want to fly there for the weekend, except during football season.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Here's the article:

From Travel Weekly's website.

Skybus updates DOT on start date for 'ultra-low fare' service (03/27/2007)
By Andrew Compart

Skybus, the aspiring Columbus, Ohio-based carrier that has described itself as "ultra-low fare," told the Transportation Dept. that it "anticipates" starting service May 20, although it has not yet revealed the destinations it plans to serve.

Skybus also said it soon will ask the DOT for a waiver that will let it begin advertising and selling tickets before receiving its DOT certification.

Skybus already has its logo -- a stylized butterfly -- that can be seen on its homepage [www.skybus.com] alongside such marketing phrases as "It screams real low fares in a quiet butterfly kind of way," "The universal symbol for incredibly low airfares" and "Fly for the price of a tank of gas. Or less."

The carrier plans to launch all-coach service with A319 aircraft configured for 150 seats.

This airline differs from almost all startups in the last 20 years. They have an order for 65 A-319's. That is one of if not the largest startup order in history of LCC's. They have received millions of dollars in incentives and taxbreaks from the city of Columbus and the state of Ohio. I dont believe the intent is to bring people solely to CMH, but have an option for people to get to vacation destinations, west coast destinations, and business destinations direct.

AWA never had a true hub at CMH. They flew regional jets to the east coast, and mainline to PHX and LAS. Columbus is within 2 hours of 3 large cities, and 1 (DAY) medium sized city. One of those cities is the most expensive in the USA to fly out of.

Not saying it will work, but I believe it has a better chance then almost all of the others that have tried.

I wonder if they have pilots to fly those things. Gawd I hope not!

Latest resources

Back