Skybus passenger reviews flight...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Capt. Jimmy and his first officer, Tom."

I've heard this introduction several times on various regional airlines I've used.

I also find it disturbing on many levels.

I've also heard a similar introduction on Southwest.

For whatever reason, I didn't find it disturbing on any level.

"Capt. Jimmy and his first officer, Tom."

I've heard this introduction several times on various regional airlines I've used.

I also find it disturbing on many levels.

I'm not real thrilled riding Southwest, there is no way I'll ever fly on their poor relation.

AirTran usually does it.

What? I am lost.

Jim is the same guy who is too good to shop at Walmart and would rather dress up in his Air Force uniform and hang out at Nordstrom stalking the soccer Mom's.

I have to agree that the whole "Captain Jimmy, First Officer Tom" thing is kind of demeaning. Back when I was a flight attendant (no jokes please), I could never make myself say that. That was especially true after I started working on my ratings and then realized how hard pilots work to get where they are (not to mention how much money gets spent). My company actually told us to refer to the pilots their first name in our announcents. I just refused.

To my mind, The Captain and First Officer had earned the respect, if introduced, to have their last names used... much like a Doctor, nurse, pastor, military member, etc.

I agree about the first name thing. It's important in my mind for many reasons to create an atmosphere of professional respect with regards to crewmembers, cockpit especially. Authority is tough to maintain if you're known as "Billy" to the entire aircraft.

What about a large ocean-going vessel? Can you imagine a 14 year old passenger walking up to the captain and saying "Yo, Jimmy!! Whassap m'man!"

Hats and names=respect? Soccer mom's at Nordstroms? I think there is a spanking correlation here somewhere, but I can't seem to tie up all the clues.

Latest resources

Back