Sky West Insurance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyW120 said:
Since last year the med benefits have become worse and more expensive. Hopefully with a larger group of employees the company will be able to negotiate better rates and better coverage. Here's an example of the most expensive plan:

National PPO:
Single: $94/month

Funny, I only pay $87 a month. Are you including dental also?

UHC is self funded -meaning SKY pays every claim out of their pocket. They in turn hire UHC to do the work of denying every claim (even simple stuff) about three times. One x-ray and they will try to make you pay 400.00$. Major pain in the arse.

Delta Dental is O.K.

Last edited:
SkyWest medical is identical as what I had at American Eagle. The premiums are $2 a month more. I had no problems at all with UHC and they never denied a claim.

I guess we should probably unionize though, that $24 a year more I am paying would more than pay for my union dues.

Maybe you haven't had a problem, but there are plenty of others that have. UHC's mission is to minimize the amount of money SkyWest pays out on claims.

Out of 20 some-odd claims we've had this year, over half have been processed incorrectly................not in our favor. We've had to fight with them every single time, even about stupid a$$ things like a cholesterol test.

UHC sux,

AF :cool:

At Colgan we have some BS Anthem PPO. Family is over $300/month. I love it when my wife asks about my twice-monthly paycheck, "Why is it $800?".

Granted, that's after 401(k), dependent care, medical savings acount, etc, but it's still pathetic.

Horizon pays 100% of the premiums for individuals, and 50% for dependents.

Year deductible is $200.
In-Network Copay is 20%, otherwise 40%
Maximum paid out in 24 consecutive months: $5000.
Maximum lifetime benefit: $10,000 (I really hope this is a misprint on our website)

Prescriptions copay is $0 if you go generic, and $30 for 90 days for preferred drugs, $80/90 days for brand-name non-preferred.

I never really paid attention to health insurance, but for just me at ASA it's $37.50/mo including dental (used to be $20 before they raised it last year). Copay is only $15 and while I'm sure people have had problems, I have had a few doctor visits and labs and everything had been paid correctly (although I occasionally get a bill for something like $4, big deal).

While there's more important stuff to worry about, hopefully SkyWest will let the ASA guys keep their health insurance because it sounds like it's a little better.

sweptback said:
I never really paid attention to health insurance, but for just me at ASA it's $37.50/mo including dental (used to be $20 before they raised it last year). Copay is only $15 and while I'm sure people have had problems, I have had a few doctor visits and labs and everything had been paid correctly (although I occasionally get a bill for something like $4, big deal).

While there's more important stuff to worry about, hopefully SkyWest will let the ASA guys keep their health insurance because it sounds like it's a little better.

Delta Dental $13.41

As far as UHC PPO is concerned, what you have is a lot better.

Family: $121.77 per pay check
$20.00 copay

It's how they choose to pay out for things that is irritating as hell. My previously mentioned cholesterol test is a case in point. Simple blood work is already paid for when you pay your copay to the doctor even though you go to a lab to get your blood drawn. We fought with UHC for almost four months over this before they finally paid the lab what was owed them. It was a whole $23.00, but it was the principle. They wanted us to pay the copay plus 20% (ie major lab work). We were initially told that there was no such thing as minor lab work. Funny...........it says minor lab and x-ray included with copay right here.......................... Devil's in the details, I guess, but you get the point.

With BCBS an MRI was considered Hospital out-patient -in network (if you indeed were in-network) $50.00 copay and you were out the door. We're fighting with UHC for an MRI over a bill totalling almost $1300.00. Huge a$$ difference, dontcha think?

AF :cool:

miles otoole said:
Family of five-wow. As a lowly paid regional pilot no less. Do you pay additional for the 2 wives?

This "lowly paid" regional pilot has one wife, is not part of the predominant religion who, by the way, banned polygamy in the early 1900's and will probably come pretty darn close to making $90K this year- well above the national average.

Latest resources

Back