Six reasons airlines are set to crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Traderd

American journalism is so infantile these days. Reminds me of those reports you see on CNN or Fox, "How to manage your debt" 1) #1 Pay off high interest cards first. 2) Consider consolidating debt into a home equity loan. 3) Don't use credit cards 4) Save money...

As if anyone with a brain doesn' already know these most obvious conclusions.

Nothing new in this article and plenty it leaves out.

But regarding the video conferencing. Do you really think that will replace face-to-face transaction? Not likely, ever! Video will serve as an enhancement to what would have been a phone conversation, which all deals are preceeded by anyway. When it comes to actually having to pull out the most effective trump card in you're arsenal to get the deal done (and get paid), your going to haul take whatever trip is necessary to close.

I spent years in sales. Nothing is as effective as a face to face meeting.

There is only ONE thing that will be the death knell of airlines.

That thing is if they figure out some sort of Star Trek 'Beam Me Up' Teleporter.

The day they come up with that, sell all your stock and run, because it's over. We'll have a few years for them to work out the housefly kinks and for the technology to become cheap/commercially viable, but that's it. We'll become horse & buggy drivers.

Until then..........People and stuff HAS to move. Someone will always have to do it.

Last edited:
There is only ONE thing that will be the death knell of airlines.

That thing is if they figure out some sort of Star Trek 'Beam Me Up' Teleporter.

The day they come up with that, sell all your stock and run, because it's over. We'll have a few years for them to work out the housefly kinks and for the technology to become cheap/commercially viable, but that's it. We'll become horse & buggy drivers.

Until then..........People and stuff HAS to move. Someone will always have to do it.

Naw. I'm sure such a device would cause cancer. :)

unintended consequences

Raise ticket prices.

The market will correct.

The end.
It is basic economics, if you raise the price of commodity, less people will purchase that commodity. It is neither management nor unions that can operate without considering the impact on the consumer who has instant access to the cheapest fare on every route. With less people purchasing there is not as much demand for that commodity, therefore there will be fewer, but better paid pilots. That is what we had under Regulation. Yes the market will correct, be very good for senior guys, not so good for everyone else. I like the gas price sign. BTW SWA raised their advance purchase ticket price and their price increase lasted about 10 days.

Last edited:
Every event that hits business travel hard- eg 911, the Volcano shutdown, or whatever, does have a certain ratchet effect on business travel never quite bouncing back to where it was before. But there are limits to how much you can teleconference in a relentlessly competitive business world- the executive who shows his face to break bread will always establish a huge leg up on the one who chooses to meet on a plasma screen- all the moreso when dealing with, say, Asia - but there will be fewer and fewer underling flunkies coming along on trips I bet. (Besides, as you say, once we have the teleporters it will be years before they work out the mutations into half-fly as per Jeff Goldblum, lol- gosh gotta rent that flick again or even the old B&W original, it's been awhile).

If teleconferencing is the magic bullet that kills the airlines, why hasn't the mere phone and now the newfangled data phones stopped people from going by and seeing clients, employees, work even. Why doesn't everyone just stay at home and work from their computer at home? Some companies already allow this, but it hasn't happened widespread, and I don't think it will.

Sure, it will reduce business travel like it already has. It will reduce the travel that was for something minor in the first place.

He also states unions are a problem for the airlines, how about the super large corporate contracts and bonuses of airline management? They really are two sides of the same argument. I'm not in love with unions because of all the politics and drama, but they are a necessity due to what we've seen happen to airlines historically. Jetblue may not have a union, but they will eventually.

If teleconferencing is the magic bullet that kills the airlines, why hasn't the mere phone and now the newfangled data phones stopped people from going by and seeing clients, employees, work even. Why doesn't everyone just stay at home and work from their computer at home? Some companies already allow this, but it hasn't happened widespread, and I don't think it will.

Sure, it will reduce business travel like it already has. It will reduce the travel that was for something minor in the first place.

He also states unions are a problem for the airlines, how about the super large corporate contracts and bonuses of airline management? They really are two sides of the same argument. I'm not in love with unions because of all the politics and drama, but they are a necessity due to what we've seen happen to airlines historically. Jetblue may not have a union, but they will eventually.

Why don't we unionize your employer, the military?

"As the reasons below come into play, unions will not understand why workers will need to compromise. This will create unnecessary administrative costs to negotiate and prevent strikes. If workers don’t accept the waning health of their employers, ill-timed strikes could catalyze a negative feedback loop."

Typical bland Wall Street writer. Editor tossed him a story that he spent all of five minutes researching. Hey at least he corrected himself after someone pointed out that jetliners are made of aluminum instead of steel. Never mind the fact labor spent this entire decade 'compromising' our compensation.

Latest resources

Back