• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Single-pilot jets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2500 hours of flying in the practice area does not prepare one to be a captain on a jet. 300 hours of turbine is about enough to not be dangerous as a copilot. You have a way to go yet before you're ready.

Umm...I started with zero hours of jet time....like I suspect you did at one point. Was I dangerous? There's nothing mystical about flying a jet. - 800 hour jet SIC

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hey ksu, go back to manhattan and sit down at a restaurant at Aggieville(I think that in what it's called) and order yourself a nice bowl of dicks!!!! I grew up half my childhood in that town, They must have given you the key to the 7-11 crapper!!! And I know you gotta be proud!!!

Yea, um can I insure my daughters Barbie jeep with you??? I asked about insurance!!!!

A$$hole!!!!!

I like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character. When you put so much importance on 300 hours, it tells me you don't realize how little experience you have. It tells me you have 2 of the 5 hazardous attitudes, macho and invulnerability. I don't think you've posted anything that disproves my initial assessment.

300 hours is nothing. Likely you haven't seen all four seasons. You probably haven't even had a real emergency yet. You may or may not have deiced. You need to understand that 300 hours has not afforded you any special wisdom, even if you are an ace pilot with a photographic memory.

Quit taking offense to the fact that you have a lot to learn. I have more than 6,000 hours now and I'm enrolled in an online class to learn more. Try learning something from me and the other posters on this forum, and admit you aren't ready to fly a jet single pilot. You just aren't.

Umm...I started with zero hours of jet time....like I suspect you did at one point. Was I dangerous? There's nothing mystical about flying a jet. - 800 hour jet SIC

I was an 800tt/0 turbine jet SIC at one time, too.

In hindsight, despite being trained at FSI, I'd probably have been just slightly more useful than a lump of coal if we'd experienced a legit in-flight emergency. I could read a mean checklist and flip switches as commanded and regurgitate systems stuff from the systems manual, but I had zero experience to draw from.

Then again, at some point we ALL have zero experience to draw from, and have to get that experience somehow.

As with anything, flying the airplane Point A to an ILS at Point B is the easy part.

Pilots successfully go from SE pistons to VLJs all the time so more hours isn't an end-all/be-all, but single pilot in a jet is no place for a professional pilot's OJT in my personal opinion as a guy who flies a jet SP.

Again, thank you for all the helpful responses. This forum is a place where someone can ask a question anonymously but along with the good perspectives and information, you also have some negative schoolyard banter such as ksu and few others who post on this forum.

I understand not everyone earned their experience the same way; some military, some civilian, and some had family money help. While others took chances with their own business, met the right person at the right time and earned their experience. There are many different ways to create your own opportunities in this industry; you just have to ignore some people who know nothing about you or your situation.

Pilots successfully go from SE pistons to VLJs all the time so more hours isn't an end-all/be-all, but single pilot in a jet is no place for a professional pilot's OJT in my personal opinion as a guy who flies a jet SP.

...agreed!

There's nothing mystical about flying a jet. - 800 hour jet SIC

And, while I would also agree there is nothing mystical about a jet, 800 hours in the right seat does not, in and of itself, mean much...no offense.

Its a whole other world out there when you (and you alone) are the one making the decisions, and dealing with the consequences ;)

Last edited:
I have been flying jets single pilot for years with the F/Os they give me that don't have a clue and a few captains too.
Capt. Seth where you at these days?

BayBum

Aren't you on Facebook? All the gory details are there. Including the fact that I'm sitting in VIDP at the moment and trying to avoid a case of Ghandi's revenge.

What are you going to do when you are 2 hrs into a 4 hr trip and you need to use the bathroom?
That is my biggest question:beer:

And, yes I have done SP ops in a Citation. Only on short trips and good weather. But, now that I'm older and wiser ;) I think in your situation it's a bad idea to even think about that right now.

What are you going to do when you are 2 hrs into a 4 hr trip and you need to use the bathroom?

...same thing one does when 2 hours into a 4 hour trip, while flying a king air ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Of course I had zero turbine time at one point. What I didn't do, was go from zero turbine time to single pilot in a jet. Especially when going from flight instruction, there is a learning curve involved that precludes one from being a safe captain until some experience is gained.

Latest resources

Back