Single engine ownership expenses.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wilpotter

Hello everyone, pleased to meet you all. I'm new to this forum and if this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know. I'm a 100 hour pilot-single engine land and sea. Want to get back into flying after being out of it for years and I don't want to rent, I want to buy. Looking into the used 70,000$ range Cessna 152 / 172 type of thing. They don't like seaplanes in my state and the insurance is much higher so most likely a land plane. It would be my first ownership.
My question is about what can I expect expenses to be for maintenance and upkeep. I know it will vary depending on location and other factors but BALLPARK...annual maintenance, hanger, insurance and anything else I may be overlooking.
Thank you in advance and fly safe, everyone.

Wow, I guess you didn't get a lot of attention with this question. I've been away from this forum for some time now. You asked this over four months ago so I wonder if you got any of the answers you needed.

We own a AA-5A Cheetah and I spend probably $3,000 to $4,000 per year on Maintenance and the annual. If I fly more than 125 hours a year I expect it will be higher. This can vary from year to year depending on an unexpected expense. I track all my component's hours and time since installation, so I have a good idea when some expense is coming and can plan for it. I put away about $15 per hour as a reserve toward overhaul and another $5 per hour for misc parts and maintenance. My Insurance costs have been fairly consistent year over year until last year when everyone got a price increase because of some tragic accidents. We've owned the airplane since 2008 and invested in many upgrades so that has to be planned for as a capital expense but the plane has been paid off for years. This keeps our overall operating costs are fairly low. Adding a mortgage payment increases the strain of ownership. Keep the plan in a hangar if you can but I understand they are more difficult to come by recently with some locations I understand having waiting lists can extend out years. Supply and demand are what is going to generally set the lease rate. $500 to $600 per month for our size plane is a ballpark number.

Hope you get more answers to your questions.

Latest resources

Back