Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

single engine or multi engine commercial first?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
I have a student almost to 250tt. He's part 61 commercial and is wondering which is better to do first... single or multi-engine commercial?

If he is looking to save money, SE first, then ME add on.

If multi time is more important, ME then do the SE add on.

I would say SE commercial first.

That is assuming he/she has no previous complex experience.
That will save some time on the multi.
Think we need some more info here before we can give some meaningful advice.
Somebody who has a private multi would be better off doing the ME first.

nosehair

Labbats, why do you ask?...You already know what JB74 said. Need more details to tailor an answer for your student.

I would recommend getting the CSEL first followed by the CFI/CFII. If you start to train towards the CFI standard your students CFI flying will go much smoother. That is if they can handle the workload. Once that is done you can bang out the CMEL and MEI pretty quickly. I've seen this system work well in the past and it will defiantly save lots of cash. Good luck

JB2k

I do most of the ins and outs. Let me elaborate.

The guy is starting his multi-engine with me now. He has 220 hours.
The thought being that he can build up to his 250 while doing his multi time as well. He's ready to go for his single engine commercial, but not his multi. He should be ready for either his SE or ME commercial right as he hits 250 hours. He currently has just the private/instrument.

I thought I remembered reading that all things being equal, one was better to do first, due to the second only requiring certain aspects.

I hope this makes sense.

Well, if he were ready to go for the CSEL NOW, then I would defiantly stay in the SE area. Use the extra time to get him in the right seat for his CFI and have him start teaching. It will only get him more prepared for his CSEL and the CFI should come that much quicker. Other wise he will loose proficiency on the lazy 8’s and Chandelle’s. Sounds like this guy is pretty good. And if that is the case he should be able to get his CFI done shortly after the CSEL. I know it’s tough to turn away the multi time. But it will come. Do your student a huge favor. Work out the numbers. Training in a RG will be more cost effective in the long run for the student than spending the time and money in the multi.

JB2k

SE v. ME

At least two 141 programs in which I have instructed, ERAU and FlightSafety, have students first obtain their Private multis so they can log PIC multi while training for their Commercial and Instrument. They get both in the multi and go back to simple singles for their Commercial SE. It's a great method because they can maximize their multi bang for the buck. Both 141 programs are set up accordingly.

In this case, the student is under Part 61 and has most of his time for his Commercial. He could fly the multi around for thirty hours until it is time for him to go for his Commercial, but it strikes me as a waste of money because it would all be dual multi time when multi PIC is what matters. You could get him his Private Multi in ten hours so he could log the rest as PIC, but he would have to shell out an examiner's fee, which he would have to pay again for his Commercial. Although I love the idea of getting initial Commercial certification in a multi, paying two examiner's fees so close together does not seem worth it, in my $0.02 opinion.

Having said all this, he's probably best off at this point to finish his Commercial in a single. You can then get him his Commercial-Multi add-on in ten hours. Of course, he won't have much multi or multi PIC, but plenty of people have added their multis after getting their Commercial and have gone on to success.

One final idea might be that after he earns his multi that he continues in it to earn his initial CFI as an MEI. That would give him some multi PIC. His CFI-A and CFI-I would be add-ons that can be done in a simple single. There are people who earn both MEI and CFI-I as initial instructor certifications and then add the CFI-A in a single.

Hope these thoughts help. Good luck with however you and your student proceed.

JB74 said:
If he is looking to save money, SE first, then ME add on.
Actually it's cheaper to do the ME first.

If you do the SE commercial first, you have to do 10 hours in a complex aircraft ($). Then you turn around and do the multi ($$).

If you do the ME first, log at least 10 hours in it ($$), then you have already completed your complex obligation and you can add on the single in a 152 (cheap).

LAXSaabdude.

except that, when you do the ME Commercial first, you have to have 20 hours in a multi. so it may or may not be cheaper. you lose the 10 hour complex cost, but also lose the SE Complex experience, but you add about 10 hours multi cost. you have to weigh the gains and losses.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back