Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

:-)

Hail Calvin
I have an interview question. My research tells me that SWA uses an interview technique termed “behavioral description”. In teaching about the technique, my old college HR textbook claims that the questions used are of no real importance. The text tells says that the behavioral description (BD) interview is looking for underlying attitudes/beliefs/values, and that a properly administered BD interview could be successful regardless of whether or not, specific job related questions are asked of the interviewee.

Here are the pertinent questions: How can interview prep services change the underlying attitudes/beliefs/values of an applicant? And, Does anyone know of a book that might help prepare for a BD interview?

I’ve searched the forum, and have read enough posts complimentary of prep services to have decided to use one, but I am still curious about how they can help. I also want to get a book (maybe “Winning Friends and Influencing People” would suffice) that might help shape my attitudes in the months leading up to a potential interview. Any suggestions?

Working toward a positive attitude,
Calvin

#1 suggestion: BE YOURSELF. Don't go and try to change who you are (or even more troubling, pay somebody to give you an "attitude makeover"). You want a prep service to "change the underlying attitudes/beliefs/values of an applicant"?? Did you ever see Steve Martin in The Man With 2 Brains? An interview prep service will help you present yourself as accurately as possible and put your best foot forward. They won't give you a brain transplant.

The idea on the SWA interview is to have the "4 H's": Honesty, Humilty, some Humor, and want to work for Herb. The interview, from what I could tell when I went through, was an opportunity for SWA to learn about me and see what my personality is like. It was quite enjoyable--just like talking to friends in the bar. In my humble opinion, if you go trying to second guess them with some kind of pre-planned psychobabble approach from a textbook, you'll be twitching and doing dorky "not-being-yourself" stuff. The interviewers will never get to know the "real" you, and you'll tube the interview.

Just relax, smile, and try to have fun. When you go in for an interview, you really will have fun. Trust me! Good luck to ya!

Last edited:
:-) said:
I have an interview question. My research tells me that SWA uses an interview technique termed “behavioral description”. In teaching about the technique, my old college HR textbook claims that the questions used are of no real importance. The text tells says that the behavioral description (BD) interview is looking for underlying attitudes/beliefs/values, and that a properly administered BD interview could be successful regardless of whether or not, specific job related questions are asked of the interviewee.

Here are the pertinent questions: How can interview prep services change the underlying attitudes/beliefs/values of an applicant? And, Does anyone know of a book that might help prepare for a BD interview?

I’ve searched the forum, and have read enough posts complimentary of prep services to have decided to use one, but I am still curious about how they can help. I also want to get a book (maybe “Winning Friends and Influencing People” would suffice) that might help shape my attitudes in the months leading up to a potential interview. Any suggestions?

Working toward a positive attitude,
Calvin
Calvin,

I am not sure what textbook you are reading, but the years I spent as a Hiring Manager, in addition to speaking with many HR Managers over the years, has garnered one common theme: Past Performance Predicts Future Behavior.

When asked a Behavioral Type of question, such as "Tell us about a time when you flew with a Captain that you did not get along with," it is amazing sometimes the answers that people will think are "acceptable" answers. My job, as an interview coach, is to see where possible pitfalls and danger traps can happen with my clients and steer them away from these areas of danger.

Let me provide you with an example.

I recently prepped one of my clients for the SWA interview with that very question. His answer was fine until he got to the point where he said that he put the guy on his "no fly" list. I stopped him in his tracks and told him that the statement could possibly be viewed as negative; that it could be turned on him as a person who could not get along with someone else. So, we formulated another ending to that story of what he learned from the situation that put him in a positive light, leaving out the no fly list comment. He was successful and has been contacted to continue in the process.

I had another woman who was interviewing for a Flight Attendant position. One of the behavioral questions asked in typical FA interviews is, "Tell us about a time when you handled a difficult customer service issue." This woman had worked as a Manager in a Day Care operation for children. She started to relate a story about how a strap was broken on a high chair and how a parent had complained about the safety of her child. She proceeded to tell me that "it was really no big deal." Now, looking at this from the context of being a former FA, in addition to being a parent of a baby, I stopped her and said, "Let me ask you something. If a passenger tells you they think they saw fire coming from the engine while on the taxiway, are you going to ignore that passenger and blow them off like it was not a big deal?"

I then told her that safety was the number ONE priority at an airline, and her answer to that question alone would have bounced her from the interview. I explained the potential pitfalls this question could cause and helped her to find another story that was not so dangerous.

This woman was not exceptionally quick on her feet, and I knew that no matter how much I prepared her for an airline interview, the job was not a good fit for her. But I could not predict with absolute certainty that she would fail, so I continued preparing her for these kinds of questions, as they are asked in virtually every interview, no matter what the industry. Learning to interview well is a skill that can be applied to any interview process in any company.

While she did not succeed in the FA interview process, she was able to attain a position as a Retail Manager, which did not require life or death decisions that needed to be made quickly.

When conducting interview prep, I do not have "mind control" over my clients. I simply see the potential problems in answers, explain why they could be a problem, and then help them to formulate answers that will keep them from getting asked the dreaded "follow-up" questions. When interviewing, a person needs to have a clear beginning and ending to their stories, trying always to end on a positive note OR if the situation did not end positively in real life, then I help them to figure out what they LEARNED from the situation.

In school, no one really ever teaches you how to interview, or for that matter, search for a job, negotiate a salary, or interview the company. I teach my clients about research and how to determine if the company they think they want to work for is a good fit for them.

For many of my clients, who truly have no idea what they want to do, I conduct assessment tests on their personality, which brings out areas of strength and weakness, and how they can ask questions in the interview that will help them ascertain whether that company will work well for them and their unique personality.

I hope I shed some light into the interview process and why the questions are asked. The information that can be gathered can be very enlightening from an HR viewpoint.

One thing that I suggest my clients do is to go on interviews with companies that you may not want to work for as a means to practice interviewing techniques. This way they are not going in cold to a potential employer and can work out some of the kinks in their answers. Further, I tell them that they never know what they might stumble upon in that process, finding a really great company that will offer them what they need.

Good luck to you in the coming months as you prepare for interviews!

Kathy

Last edited:
I don't know squat about the theory behind the interview. But I do know that to be at your best in anything you must prepare and practice. Prepareing for my interview didn't change who I am or what I belive. But it did help me relax and "bring my A game."

Be yourself, practice your delivery/presentation

Juvat said:
#1 suggestion: BE YOURSELF. Don't go and try to change who you are (or even more troubling, pay somebody to give you an "attitude makeover"). You want a prep service to "change the underlying attitudes/beliefs/values of an applicant"?? Did you ever see Steve Martin in The Man With 2 Brains? An interview prep service will help you present yourself as accurately as possible and put your best foot forward. They won't give you a brain transplant.

The idea on the SWA interview is to have the "4 H's": Honesty, Humilty, some Humor, and want to work for Herb. The interview, from what I could tell when I went through, was an opportunity for SWA to learn about me and see what my personality is like. It was quite enjoyable--just like talking to friends in the bar. In my humble opinion, if you go trying to second guess them with some kind of pre-planned psychobabble approach from a textbook, you'll be twitching and doing dorky "not-being-yourself" stuff. The interviewers will never get to know the "real" you, and you'll tube the interview.

Just relax, smile, and try to have fun. When you go in for an interview, you really will have fun. Trust me! Good luck to ya!
I agree 100% with Javit!

Calvin:

Be yourself is key. A prep service can be helpful to help you present yourself better. It's like practicing to speak in public, preparing to give a speach, just be sure the words are truly yours and the content reflects you and not what you think they want to hear.

Jeff Helgeson said:
I agree 100% with Javit!

Calvin:

Be yourself is key. A prep service can be helpful to help you present yourself better. It's like practicing to speak in public, preparing to give a speach, just be sure the words are truly yours and the content reflects you and not what you think they want to hear.
That is a great analogy about public speaking. But, let me take it one step further.

If you are speaking on a subject, wouldn't you want to make sure you understand the issues or the material? What do the people listening to your speech want to hear? Why did they ask you to come and give a speech?

Obviously they want to hear more about what you have to say on a subject because there is something in your background that makes you an expert. In interviewing, that subject is you and you are the sole expert on your background. However, in that same instance, if you do not understand the company culture and how you fit into it, then you will not be successful.

There is a reason I explain to my clients the process, why the questions are being asked and what the interviewer hopes to gain by asking the questions. Basically, it helps them to make a solid decision of whether to hire a candidate or send them on their way. I do not give my clients "canned" answers; I help them to understand the process and the format to answer the questions. It is much easier if you understand the motivation behind a question.

Interviews are very much based in a psychological context. The type of interview questions being asked are "behavioral" in nature; hence the name. Many people do not understand how their past behavior predicts future performance. But, as I have said before, it is amazing what you can learn about a person from those questions.

Kathy

Resume Writer said:
Calvin,

I am not sure what textbook you are reading, but the years I spent as a Hiring Manager, in addition to speaking with many HR Managers over the years, has garnered one common theme: Past Performance Predicts Future Behavior.

Good luck to you in the coming months as you prepare for interviews!

Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you for the response. The text is Human Resources Management, A Strategic Approach. BUT, now that you asked the question, I dug it out and re-read the chapter......... and, I can't find the part where it says what I said it said. I said, "that a properly administered BD interview could be successful regardless of whether or not, specific job related questions are asked of the interviewee". The text didn't say that, I found that info in my class notes.
My apologies to the authors.

In any event, everything else is as you write. Past performance predicts future behavior.

Now, I must learn to relate my past performances in a way that showcases my Hobbes side, not Calvin.:D

Mucha Gracias for your input.
:)

Everyone,

Thank you for the responses.

I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I can succeed if I attempt to hide my base personality, I just want to make sure that I don't enter the process wearing an anchor of my own making. I am not a silver tounged devil, and realize that I don't always come across as I intend; therefore I feel compelled to improve myself now instead of loathing myself later.

I do appreciate the "just be yourself" advice, BUT I know of too many (We ALL know of too many) pilots who I/we consider to be good people, who were not selected by SWA. It frightens me to see people, who I respect as people, get rejected. Does that mean that my judgement is incorrect, or are they good people who failed to properly prepare? Sorry for the poor grammer, I'm just going with the flow this morning.

All, I've been re-reading your responses and trying to digest them, to glean the least grain from them; and I have a few more comments/questions.

First question, Juvat. What does your signature line say? I assume that it is Latin?

Juvat said:
#1 suggestion: BE YOURSELF.

What if "myself" is not good enough to pass the interview?:)

Juvat said:
Don't go and try to change who you are (or even more troubling, pay somebody to give you an "attitude makeover"). You want a prep service to "change the underlying attitudes/beliefs/values of an applicant"?? Did you ever see Steve Martin in The Man With 2 Brains? An interview prep service will help you present yourself as accurately as possible and put your best foot forward. They won't give you a brain transplant.

Juvat, I think you misread my intent. The question, "How can interview prep services change the underlying attitudes/beliefs/values of an applicant?" is rhetorical. I wasn't asking for a prep service to change my attitudes, etc.; I was trying to make the point that prep services CAN'T change underlying attitudes, etc. The underlying question is this: if the interview technique truly determines the applicants underlying attitudes/beliefs/values, then how can prep affect the results of the interview? It is even more intriguing to ponder this: if proper prep can skew the results, is the technique truly valid?????????

Seriously, I see no need to prep if the interview technique is accurate. On the other hand, if the interview can be manipulated, I want to manipulate it better than the next guy.

juvat said:
The idea on the SWA interview is to have the "4 H's": Honesty, Humilty, some Humor, and want to work for Herb.

That is great stuff, thanks.

Juvat said:
In my humble opinion, if you go trying to second-guess them with some kind of pre-planned psychobabble approach from a textbook, you'll be twitching and doing dorky "not-being-yourself" stuff.

Have no fear, I have no intention of trying to second guess anyone. My goal is to avoid shooting myself in the foot. I have done that a time or two in the past.

Now, I'm going to drift slightly away from my original questions and go on a ramble. Please indulge me.

I am confident in my past performance. I have few if any enemies, and lots of friends. To my knowldge, no one has me on their "no-fly" lists. I am courteous and quiet. I help others and rarely ever ask for help for my tasks. I have no trepidation in stating that I am a very good employee. I show up on time, and never leave my employer in the lurch. I protect the equipment that the employer entrusts me with, and protect the people who entrust their lives to me. In all of that I am confident.

I am not confident that I am a good enough "story teller" to successfully communicate all of that to an interviewer. Partly for this reason: I have worked hard to learn how to put the past into the past. One of my goals in life has been to ensure that I don't hold on to bad memorys. I have encountered troublesome people, and had to deal with confrontational persons as well, but I really don't retain that stuff. I've watched a relative grow old and bitter, because she can't ever let go of any negative encounter. Her negative example caused me to swear to myself that I am not going to retain unpleasant memories. In short, I just don't retain much of anything from the past, especially if it was less than pleasant.
Unfortunately, the gouge seems to indicate that I will need to dredge up stories that I no longer retain.

Honestly, any story I tell about a time when I had to deal with an unpleasant situation that included people, will be somewhat "made up" on the spot. I just don't have those memories. OR, if I do they were so unpleasant that I can't forget, but don't want to remember. Where does that leave me.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Jeff Helgeson said:
I agree 100% with Javit!

Calvin:

Yeah, what the heck. You have probably shelled out better than 6 grand (hotel not included) for the 737 type by now. Why worry about another chunk of change for finishing school at this point to learn how to sing "Whole Lotta LUV?"

Latest resources

Back