Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ToiletDuck

Ninja
Ok when flying the mooney I get established and set our power to 21". Then pitch back to an angle that will give you a stall. Once at the first warning of stall I recover. Now one instructor said the stall is simulating full power so I'm not to touch the throttle. However when i've flown with another they said because checking your throttle is part of your checklist you can then put it all in. My CFI checkride is Friday and I'd like to get this little bit out of the way lol. What do you do? Is any one way wrong if I explain what i'm doing?

Duck

Careful doing actual full power stalls in a Mooney. Pretty much one of the only times I've gone inverted on accident. I know that when I instructed in a Baron, we'd set the throttle at half power and do a power on stall to first indication as well.

Now, you're not dealing with assymetric thrust in a Mooney, but that thin wing is just itching to tumble you in an actual power on stall, so I'd avoid them.

The Mooney is similar to that Baron because with that much power, you'll go upside down just as easily as you'll stall in a full power configuration.

no no no. I didn't mean do the stall at full power, i'm sorry, I was asking if upon recovery of the stall if you leave it at the 21" or if you actually put in the full power. One instructor says that we leave it at 21" because we were simulating it's already full power. Yet others say that when you go through the checklist you cram the throttle so we pretend we didn't have it all in. regardless we do the stall at 21" it's the recovery i'm curious about.

Best of luck with the CFI ride! Great feeling when you pass it...lots of hard work into it and I'm sure you'll do fine.

If I had to guess, I'd say since you're "simulating full power" you wouldn't touch it. Any info in the AFM?

-mini

Wait.. wait.. stall checklist?

I see what you're asking. I don't have a good answer for you. Ask the DE when you take your ride. It'll make good conversation. Remember that the more he talks, the less questions you get asked. ;)

It all depends. Are you simulating a departure stall- as in, right after takeoff? Or a power-on stall... as in a stall any time the power is not at idle. If it's not specified for you, I'd say go ahead and pick one on your CFI ride, and brief it to the inspector. Obviously you know there's a difference between how you would recover from each.

If it's a departure stall, I'd say to use takeoff power and recover at the first indication of a stall by simply lowering the nose (ahem... angle of attack).

If you're simulating a stall during the climbout with "climb power" being 21 inches, then I'd say yes, apply full power during the recovery. That's what you'd do in a real situation, right?

I really don't think it matters as long as you brief him/her on what you're doing and do it as briefed.

Just my $.02, but I haven't instructed in awhile. Good luck on the ride!

As far as setting the power at 21'' before the stall,that's fine.The PTS says it has to be set at least at 70%. As far as the recovery, use fullpower, that's what you are supposed to do. One of the reason somepeopledon't do full power during the entry,is because they are simulating that you are taking off and the throttle slowly came back, reducing youpower and airspeed, btu the pilot keeps pulling back in order to keepclimbing, then stalling.
I wouldn't really ask that question to the DE, he may not like that. If you are going toask himsomething make it a really hard question.

Good luck with the ride!

Latest resources

Back