Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flywithastick

Member is: ready
I'm looking for some creative ideas to safely simulate problems while training. I only instruct recip powered GA, so suggestions related to this would be most helpful. stories about others would be interesting to hear though.

I'm up with the basics of pulling the mixture, breakers, fuses, opening doors, etc. How about some more agressive and unusual ones.

Keeping these folks on their toes with problems other than the standard simulated failures may help them one day if a real one occurs, not to mention improving their chances on a c-ride.

No safety lectures please. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Turn a set of mags off.

Make them try to land with failed ailerons, rudder, elevator, flaps, trim. Not all at the same time please.

Unplug their headset and make them enter the pattern at a towered field for light gun signals. Do the same at an uncontrolled field. You'll be surprised how panicked they get when they can't talk to you or anyone else.

Broken throttle cable. They are stuck at x amount of MP/RPM.

Just my humble opinion, but take it for whatever it's worth:

There should be no "tricks" at all during flight instruction. You're not there to see if you can pull one over on the student, you're there to teach. Hopefully, both you and the student will have studied a curriculum that lists the maneuvers and procedures for each segment of training. Certainly emergency procedures are part of training. However, they're not there so you can play "gotcha". The emergency and the expected corrective action should be discussed on the ground and demonstrated in flight before expecting the student to handle it.

Circuit breakers, fuses, etc are not switches. Be extremely prudent about routinely using them during training scenarios.

If you don't want to hear anything about safety, you're definitely in the wrong occupation. Your students will naturally think your methods are normal and will follow your lead long after they've left your supervision.

"You'll be suprised how panicked they get when they can't talk to you or anyone else."

Are you speaking of ATC, the pilot, or both? <smirk>

:D

when I've been in the tower ATC expressed they really like to get a lil practice in with the light gun during low volume traffic. Keeps em sharp too.

Last edited:
tdvalve said:
There should be no "tricks" at all during flight instruction.
Please don't get hung up on semantics. I believe I clearly conveyed my intent. I'm looking for ideas where I can realistically simulate problems with little student anticipation.

You're not there to see if you can pull one over on the student, you're there to teach.
An instructor's ability to safely demonstrate a problem, with as much realism as possible, is one of the most important facets of flight training.

However, they're not there so you can play "gotcha". The emergency and the expected corrective action should be discussed on the ground and demonstrated in flight before expecting the student to handle it.
I didn't say this ground training would not occur.

Circuit breakers, fuses, etc are not switches. Be extremely prudent about routinely using them during training scenarios.
I'm prudent with all actions taken while flying pesonally or while instructing. This is one of the reasons I chose to ask for suggestions and thoughts on this topic here.

If you don't want to hear anything about safety, you're definitely in the wrong occupation.
Please read what I wrote. I asked to not receive any lectures. I welcome helpful suggestions and tips, just save me the diatribes. Regarding safety, I make it quite clear to my students that simulated problems and distractions will occur while training with me. I also make it clear that I will in no way place them, me or the plane in danger at any time. I hope they do take my methods and attitude with them after leaving my supervision.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Your student is paying a pile of money to learn how to safely fly an aircraft. People a lot smarter and more experienced than me (and you) have determined the maneuvers and procedures that best prepare a student for accomplishing this. If you're deviating from an established lesson plan you're either taking away time from another subject or you're costing the student extra money. An emergency procedure that's not in the curriculum should occur only when an incorrect action by the student naturally leads to the new emergency.

PS: A C-152 will kill you just as dead as will a B-747.

Safely but realistically simulating abnormalities is definitely part of being an instructor. I agree with the poster who said that you shouldn't play "gotcha!" I have know instructors who will pull stupid things the very first time that they simulate an emergency. They do this to try to show the student how cool they are. It's conter-productive, and and probably means that the instructor is not comfortable in his own abilities as an instructor.

The first time you simulate an engine failure, you get to a really high altitude and just tell the student: "I am going to simulate an engine failure by retarding the throttle to idle." Then you do it, and ask them to walk through the procedure step by step.

Once they have built up more proficiency, then you can start to get a little creative and challenge the student. It really isn't a real good simulation to just retard the throttle, because the student knows what's goin on as soon as you reach for the throttle. Using the mixture isn't any different because they still see your hand pull something back on the throttle quadrant.

Once during each student's training, It may be beneficial to shut the fuel off to simulate an engine failure. I would only do this at high altitude and near a suitable landing spot such as an agricultural strip. You can distract the student by asking if they see some traffic off left, and when they look over, shut off the fuel and return your hands to wherever they would normally be. The engine will continue to run for a bit and then die. The student will not have seen you do anything, Have them complete the procedure, which will involve an engine restart. You will also learn which students actually do an engine restart, and which ones just tap the fuel selector without even looking at it. As soon as they turn the fuel back on, wait for the engine to start and then retard the throttle so the student can finish the procedure.

I realize that there is a chance that you could get a vapor lock that would prevent an engine restart. It isn't likely, but it's possible. If this happens, the instructor would take control of the aircraft and make a landing in the pre-determined landing spot.

This is a procedure would be done only once with each student because it allows them to experience the heart-sink and temporary panic that happens when your engine quits. I think it is a good experience for the student.

TRICKS of the trade

dear flywithastick, when i first began instructing, i would sometimes receive what i will call cast-off students from other instructors. you know the ones, the retards. i was always so disgusted that, A. nobody had weeded these people out of the flight school yet, and B., for those who had some hope of passing a check-ride, how they had been failed and neglected by their previous instructors. for either group, i would give serious simulated failures as those mentioned above, beyond the standard, "oops, your instructor just retarded the throttle and will give it back no matter what 500' agl." i found a borderline abandoned airport, turf, with tall grass that i would set them up to land on. this place was such a hole in the wall that if you didn't know it was an airport, you would never guess it was. the students were always so suprised when i didn't give the the trottle back and the emergency approach ended up in an honest to god soft-field landing. on of my more retarded students said the following after landing, and seeing the only aircraft "based" at this airport (a 1946 j-3 with a$$ high weeds all around it), "look, somebody else had engine trouble here too!" eventually i began to do this at least once with all students, the good, the bad, and the ugly. i would always tell them that they had just killed us or that they were a hero and had saved the day. additionally, i also will stop the prop on short final as a distraction once in a while. i am not the best instructor in the world, but i darn sure want to know that my students know the drill on emergencies. while it may not constitute the majority of the dual my students receive, emergency procedures of ALL types are a large % of our time spent in the air and on the ground.

I'm not a big fan of actually shutting down a single engine airplane for shock value to the student. I've heard of too many incidents where the engine wouldn't restart and the outcome bent metal. In twins you only simulate a failure at lower altitudes by regulation and for safety. A few thoughts. There are safer ways to prepare your student. Remember, it's all about risk management. Try not to add too much to the equation. Take care.

Several months ago I was doing a BFR and the CFI I was with briefed me on the upwind that the next landing would be no flaps. He elaborated on the downwind that I was not to descend below 1500 feet until he said so because he wanted to see a good forward slip.

While I was preparing myself mentally for what I was going to do he pulled the power back to idle, looked over at me and said "Forget everything I just told you, it was a distraction. You have just lost your engine. Please land the airplane."

It was totally unexpected. It worked. I think its a great "trick."

The point is, give the student something to think about as a distraction (like an emergency), and then give them another emergency. You will surprise them every time - and that's the idea.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back