• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

simple tax question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
read IRS publications 463, when it opens, search for "transportation workers". There are a couple methods you can use. The first one (the one I use) counts the first and last day as 3/4 days each. So a 4 day trip would count as 3.5 days.

Publications 463, 529, 1542 and Form 2106 all have references to what we do. It takes a while to sift through everything, but take the time to read it and do it right...

OK thanks...So if you use the standard $52 / day calculation, a 4 day would be worth $182 and a 3 day $130....

Does that sound right???

I may be wrong, but without looking it up, I believe you can only deduct the amount over 2% AGI (adjusted gross income). Same as medical expenses, uniforms, etc

ok Ive got a simple per diem question that i need some help with!

If I have 40 4-day trips, I take the standard deduction of $52 (i think thats what it is) and was paid 4000 ntax perdiem. what is the actual deduction?

would you also include how you came up with your answer. Thanks

Day 1 $39
Day 2 $52
Day 3 $52
Day 4 $39
Total $182 per 4 day trip

40 4 day trips x $182 = $7280

$7280 - $4000 = $3280

$3280 x 80% = $2624

I used a different method for calculating partial days. I claim 100% ($52) for any partial day where the trip begins before noon or ends after 5 p.m. This is permitted by publication 463 (I picked these times on my own though).

How would you calculate a 2 day trip...$52 + $52 then 75% of the total

The rate may be prorated using any method that is consistently applied and in accordance with reasonable business practice. For example, if an employee travels away from home from 9 a.m. one day to 5 p.m. the next day, a method of proration that results in an amount equal to two times the federal M&IE rate will be treated as being in accordance with reasonable business practice (even though only one and a half times the federal M&IE rate would be allowed under the Federal Travel Regulations).
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-08-59.pdf

Another thing to keep in mind, if you use the special rates ($52 CONUS/$58 OCONUS), the deduction may be somewhat less than if the standard M&IE rates are used, especially if you usually travel to higher-cost or international destinations.

Also, this is all only deductable to the extent that a pilot’s aggregate miscellaneous itemized deductions (including business expenses) exceed 2 percent of the pilot’s adjusted gross income.

Last edited:
One last thing, things that are subject to the 2% limit other than per diem are, union dues and expenses; depreciation on a computer or cell phone your employer requires you to use in your work; dues to professional societies; job search expenses in your present occupation; legal fees related to your job; licenses and regulatory fees; medical examinations required by an employer; occupational taxes; passport for a business trip; subscriptions to professional journals and trade magazines related to your work; tools and supplies used in your work; work clothes and uniforms if required and not suitable for everyday use; and work-related education among other things.

Latest resources

Back