• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

simple tax question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks...I just enter it all into Turbo Tax and let it figure it out....

Except for that Turbo Tax will not figure out what you were asking. You have to figure out what the substantiated amount of per diem that is deductible and then plug that number into Turbo Tax.

Last edited:
Where do you enter it into turbo tax? Is it just a line item entry where you enter your rob related expenses? That is where I have always put it.

2 questions:

1) I'm kinda fuzzy about the >2% AGI term, can someone please explain it?

2) I know i can find my per diem paid by the company in box 12 L on my w-2. But my last company doesn't use that box, and i was told to use the amount shown with "Misc. Non-taxable comp.". Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Several deductions are limited to a certain threshold.

For example, medical expenses are only deductible after they exceed 7.5 % of your AGI.

The deduction for unreimbursed employee expenses is among those limited to the amount that exceeds 2% of your AGI. Meaning there are several deductions that fall under the 2% AGI limit. As you complete your taxes, after you calculate your business deductions, on schedule A you will subtract 2% of your AGI from the total of those deductions. That is the amount that you will be allowed to deduct.

It really isn't that complicated.

As for how your employer handled the non-taxed per diem, I have no idea. It sounds like what you say could be accurate. You also could look back at your pay records and add it up. It should be the same.

Where do you enter it into turbo tax? Is it just a line item entry where you enter your rob related expenses? That is where I have always put it.
When you put it into Turbo Tax it is going to go into the ME&I section of the job related expenses. Put the total Per Deim allowed by the government in the first box. Another box will ask you how much you were reimbursed, you will enter the Per Deim paid to you by your company. Turbo Tax will calculate the difference and put it on the forms. Make sure you click the check box that you are subject to the DOT rules. This will let you get the 80% and not just the 50% that any other traveling career would get.

Those that have posted partial pay for the first and last days are correct in calculating the total that you are allowed by the govenment. Plus you do not have to use the standard $52 dollar amount. You can figure it out per city (Some cities rate more $$ due to the cost of living). You have to go one way or the other though, so choose wisely. Day trips and CDOs do not count, the idea is you have to be gone on multiple day trips to claim Per Deim.

Day trips and CDOs do not count, the idea is you have to be gone on multiple day trips to claim Per Deim.
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the trip had to involve an overnight rest period in order to count; in that case, CDO's usually meet that criteria. The IRS definition of rest does not have to meet the FAA's definition of minimum rest.

Latest resources

Back