Simcom for the King Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

I just found out that I am being sent to King Air school at the end of this summer down at Simcom.

I have been spoiled by pretty state-of-the-art sims in all of my past training and understand that the 90 sim isn't even a motion sim. Anyone confirm this? And if you can, if you have experience in both (full motion and static), can you comment on what to expect?

Thanks!

The 90 sim is a non-motion FTD. The 200 sim is full motion. I have done both FTDs and full motion sims, but I did it opposite the way you are going to - I started with non-motion and transitioned to motion.

My experience was with the 90 at Simuflite, not Simcom. Not really sure how much difference there is between the two, but I felt the training was very good. After getting out of the school, I felt 100% comfortable in the aircraft, after coming in with nearly 0 time in type.

A long time ago I did the BE-20 sim at Simcom in MCO. It was my first sim training so I really didn't know much. It worked ok, but after doing alot of real sim training since then I would not want to go back to that. The ground school was fine and the instructors were all nice enough.

I did the b200 school there about 3 years ago and the sim was not motion. Like the others said, the classroom was ok but the sim was lacking.

2 cents

Will you have an opportunity to jump seat on the 90 before you go to school? If so, pay attention to how the checklists and flows work before going to school. Study the annunciator panel well, what activates every light on the annunciator, know how to do all checks such as prop governor, current limiter etc., this will end up being more of a procedural trainer, still much better than an around the patch check out, good airplane.

The sim never flies like the plane.. Training is about knowing procedures; normal and emergency; (as well as systems).

I wouldnt worry about weather it was motion or not.

If youre expected to fly it right after training, hire a high time C90 instructor for a day. (on the companies dime of course!) get 4-5 hours of flying and pick his/her brain about all the little nuonces about the plane that they dont teach you about in training.

If this is part 135, ride shotgun for a little bit. The 90 wont bite its a docile plane. Good luck!

simcom

I went to simcom for the e-90 intial and a recurrent. I had zero time in king airs and the training went fine. The sim isnt great but will do the job. I think the sim they use is a c-90. They will work with you to finish early and get home. Good luck

It is funny how small circles there are in aviation... when I first started flying (waaaay back...showing age) this plane was the first turbine job I got (right seat 135). Left corporate for many years of the airline thing and am now back again. Same planes (and some new ones here and there), same people...everyone just shifts around a bit.

I was really wondering more about how Simcom and FSI compare since I have never been to Simcom and have never been in a static sim.

I guess I will treat it as more of a CPT experience and not expect much else out of it. If there is more to it, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for all of your input.

Someone asked me this question and I thought you guys might know?

Can you get an ATP with King Air training, (90 or 200) at Simuflite, Simcom or FSI? If not, what is the best option for someone needing King Air training and an ATP.

Yes you can. But it must be a full motion level C or D simulator. The FTD's do not qualify for that type of training. I got my ATP at Simuflite in the BE20.

Someone asked me this question and I thought you guys might know?

Can you get an ATP with King Air training, (90 or 200) at Simuflite, Simcom or FSI? If not, what is the best option for someone needing King Air training and an ATP.

Latest resources

Back