Sim instructor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
groundpointsix said:
9-5? What about that guy who gets stuck with the 5am sim slot?
Or the 3:30am briefing for the 4:00am sim? Oh yeah, I forgot - the senior guys volunteer to take those times. Actually is pretty much is a 9-5 job except then you have to work early or late. :rolleyes:

'Sled

Was recently at PAIFA for Level D Sim recurrency training in the Caravan sim...those guys/gals were working the back side of the clock as well. Sims don't make money for their owners if they ain't rocking and rolling.

Is it true that typically most higher-time guys that lose their medicals generally end up becoming sim instructors?

Also, what kind of training or requirements would FligthSafety or SimuFlite have to hire you as an instructor?

I meant 9-5 as in 8 hours a day....not specifically 9-5. Some of you guys have no creativity at all. Anyway, my bud works the late shift as well and he actually likes it. The place is quiet, no bosses or managers around to deal with. Each to his own.

Bill Mostellar said:
I worked part-time (hourly) for SimuFlite. The atmosphere was wonderful and the people were great. You also get the opportunity to get type ratings in other aircraft (space available).

Like everything in aviation, it's what you make of it.

Just curious how the part time instructor thing works at Simuflite. Just wondering what kind of schedule you work and also what the pay is. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Simuflite thing has it's pro's and con's like any job. Flight Safety pays more
for what it is worth. Simuflite is currently in a hiring mode. Schedule really depends on the air frame you are in. Benefits package is good. Connections are awesome due to the fact you have face to face time with all the operators (Guess who they call when they have a job opening?).

Biggest upside in my mind: I go home everyday after about 6-8 hours of work.

Biggest Downside: If you don't enjoy teaching and living in a box, it can really suck at times.

I balance the two. I fly on a contract basis about once a week, and teach the rest both ground school and simulator. I also coach my sons soccer team and make enough money between the two to be close to a six figure job.

Does one need to have significant experience in type to instruct in a sim?

(T-1, I think that's cool that you are around enough to coach your son's soccer team.)

-Goose

Does anybody know what sim instructor tops out at.And are you able to move on to different airframes?

Sim Pay

psysicx said:
Does anybody know what sim instructor tops out at.And are you able to move on to different airframes?

I know one who works at Simuflite is making six figures as a G-V instructor. He moved up from hawker IP to the Gulfstream program.

SimuFlite has a higher pay scale than FSI as a rule. There are a bunch of ex FSI types at SimuFlite.

They both have web sites with requirements for open positions.

Pay at Simuflite totally depends on your airframe that you are hired to teach in. There are opportunities to move to different airframes, but if your program is in need, your manager can axe that. This has been a pet peeve in the beechjet program and they lose alot of qualified people due to lack of advancement. The gulfstream guys don't seem to work as many hours, weekends, nights, etc. They also make six figures... Dont go in thinking that you will begin in one airframe and work your way to the Gulfstream program. Every instructor in the building would kill to have this opportunity.

If you go to the simuflite website you will see several job openings. Like I said, they are in a hiring mode right now. The requirements are posted there. ON average I believe they want total time of 3,000 hours and a type rating in the aircraft you are applying for.

They also have a way for new guys to get a Free type and experience. It is called the right seat program. This is also online. You work for free, but, in return they send you thru the program, type you, and use you to right seat during training of clients. One of the nice things about this, is you will normally bond with the guy who is flying left seat, and if you do a good job for him, who knows this could lead to a job offer. I have seen this first hand...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back