Signed Medical Statement to fly.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MJG

What's the deal with this rule? In Part 63 of the FARs glider pilots are exempted from the need for a medical certificate to operate a glider. However it is my understanding that you still need a medical statement signed by yourself stating you have no medical deficiencies that would prevent you from operating a glider safely.

So since I already have a 1st class medical for my other flying is this acceptable as my "signed" medical statement or do I actually need to write down something and sign my name to it in my logbook?

I ask because no one really seems to know the answer to this including my CFIG and I would like to have a better answer then the ones I've been getting.

Im not sure there actually has to be a signed medical statement anymore. In the old days there was a line on the 8710 that you signed saying that you had no known medical deficiencies or something like that. Now days there is no such thing on the form. It is up to you personally to self certify before every flight that you are fit for it, and thats for a powered or glider flight. I know of no requirement that the FAA has to have a signed form from you on hand though.

What's the deal with this rule? In Part 63 of the FARs glider pilots are exempted from the need for a medical certificate to operate a glider. However it is my understanding that you still need a medical statement signed by yourself stating you have no medical deficiencies that would prevent you from operating a glider safely.

So since I already have a 1st class medical for my other flying is this acceptable as my "signed" medical ...

Having a medical covers you. Some rental places have a form if you don't have a medical, but that may be an insurance thing. In your own single-seat ship (yeah, like I have one...) you're probably on your own.

Latest resources

Back