Sign Petition Removing Cargo Exemption

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please explain to me why I would want the new work rules. Example

Pilot A works Tuesday, Wed, Thur and flys 8 hours a day. 24 hrs a weekX 4 = 92 hours/month and times out by November. (an extreme example I know)

Pilot A now has to work 4 to 5 days to obtain the same amount of flight time.

How about if we just get the FAA to enforce the rules that we have now, such as rest not starting until you are checked into the hotel. Most of the problems would be solved.

I personally do not like the choice of working a lot and getting a lot of time or not working a lot and not getting as much time taken out of my control. Does anyone know of any crew tracking organization that is not going to totally screw up the new rules to the detrament of the pilots????

Be careful what you wish for...

you're missing the big picture. Supply/Demand, negotiation capital, etc..

however, if you're one of those overtime whOWres that like to FLY 90+ a month on a domestic schedule, then you're probably not going to want this reg either way..

I keep trying to sign the danged thing and it keeps looping me back but won't let me sign it. Anybody else have problems signing it. Might explain the low numbers.

I keep trying to sign the danged thing and it keeps looping me back but won't let me sign it. Anybody else have problems signing it. Might explain the low numbers.

I had issues too... I had to literally quit my browser and relaunch it, relog in and then it worked..

you're missing the big picture. Supply/Demand, negotiation capital, etc..

however, if you're one of those overtime whOWres that like to FLY 90+ a month on a domestic schedule, then you're probably not going to want this reg either way..

No actually I am not. I am just the opposite. I like having my time off. I just don't understand why I want to work more days for the same amount of pay. Back to my original question... What are the bigger issues that I am missing? Another just as plausible senerio is that we enter an era of hyper inflation (when we have to pay back all of these loans) and the airlines cut back tremendously and the govt. caves on the rules anyway. No one can predict the future. Again, be careful what you wish for as you may get it... Happy New Year..gotta go get into a limo and onto Amsterdam......OH NOOOOOOOO its 0125 east coast time.....I am melting.....all of this "back side of the clock" is killing meeeeeeee! (of course resting for an additional X amount of hours would some how fix the clock?)

Last edited:
ttuite: it is designed to get rid off the unlimited duty time/ nearly unlimited amount of flying one can do on international flights with 2 pilots and a f/e. Yes, 20+ hr duty and 15+ hrs flying (= in your seat, no relief like on the 744) are more common than anyone thinks. Duties over 24 hrs are not unheard of. I've done 24/17, 23/13 and countless 18+/13. All legal. The kicker is in the empty "repositioning" flight that might be longer than the revenue flight preceding it. The repo flight is considered part 91, and as such there are no rules. Many of those flights are to Afghanistan, where a crew starts in Europe, and does the roundtrip, accounting for 15 hrs of flying about 20 duty, if everything goes fine.

Anything that has a 2 crew cockpit already operates under a whole lot tighter rules, including relief crew and (hopefully) adequate rest facilities.

The companies most affected by this ruling are Kalitta, Southern, Evergreen. If you know the close ties some of these companies' owners have to government, then it will be immidiately clear who got the cargo exemption in the legislation (and maybe how futile the petition might be). Just some deep pockets lining the deep pockets of some elected officials....

No actually I am not. I am just the opposite. I like having my time off. I just don't understand why I want to work more days for the same amount of pay. Back to my original question... What are the bigger issues that I am missing? Another just as plausible senerio is that we enter an era of hyper inflation (when we have to pay back all of these loans) and the airlines cut back tremendously and the govt. caves on the rules anyway. No one can predict the future. Again, be careful what you wish for as you may get it... Happy New Year..gotta go get into a limo and onto Amsterdam......OH NOOOOOOOO its 0125 east coast time.....I am melting.....all of this "back side of the clock" is killing meeeeeeee! (of course resting for an additional X amount of hours would some how fix the clock?)

I'm confused.. so you enjoy getting your body beat to crap for a few extra bucks in your pocket? Why not just make a better hourly wage and live a few years past your 65 retirement instead?

Metrodriver: I see your point and can see where the abuse can take place. Not flying a classic I have not experienced these problems. I just don't agree that more legislation is the answer. Perhaps these problems can be solved on a local level in each companies contract. My company so far has not seen fit to put me through what you describe. If they were to start to happen, I would hope that my union would be able to negotiate the issues in the next contract.

Fms: In my last profession I worked all three shifts sometimes in the span of a week. I was "working" the entire time and other than when I hung out at the donut shop I had to be at my full attention lest I be sued or worse be hurt. I have had countless times when I caught a case only to be not returning to my bed for 24 or 36 hours and that is without advance warning. Put yourself through 20 years of that and then come and tell me how hard this is on your body. I am happy to say that this profession is much better. I work with great people who are proficient in what they do, get plenty of time off and get paid fairly well. What they ask of me is what they told me they would ask of me when they interviewed me. So they beat my body up a little sometimes, it is a small price to pay for the privledge of working in this profession. I let my union speak for me and when they suggest that I lobby for better work rules then I will. Until then, I would prefer that the union negotiate the work rules for me. I had enough of goverment people, who don't have a clue what is important, making up rules that effect me daily.
This is just MY opinion and you know the saying....opinions are like....

TTuite,

I hear what you're saying about more government and agree but in this case I am not sure I will wait on my union to express a voice on the matter. Too often it seems the unions are like our politicians in that they are for sale to the highest bidder. Unfortunantly the membership is not always the highest bidder. The carrier I work for does both cargo and pax so the next thing we will see is denied a bidline because we are on cargo rules so we can't fly pax. There needs to be one standard for rest rules as we are all human.

Latest resources

Back