Sierra Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tiger Flyer

Like many, I'm interested in becoming a professional pilot. I'm 31 years old with a ppl and am condering a career change. For various reasons I've decided to consider schools only in California. Can anyone give feedback on Sierra Academy? Their Direct Track internship? Other schools in the SF Bay Area?

Regards,

Tiger Flyer

I don't know where you're from in CA but check out the cost of living in the Bay Area before deciding. That's the main reason I am in FL now. We occasionally get students from Sierra and they know their stuff.

The Direct Track...where does the track lead? If they're guaranteeing you a job or an interview with any airlines, you can feel reasonably assured that it's bogus. I think Sky West used to pick up a lot of pilots from there but that's not happening right now.

I will let the Sierra guys/gals comment further, since I have no idea of the specifics related to the school. I will say that you better be prepared to leave CA behind if you want an airline job. All crew bases there are pretty senior.

They claim their Direct Track program allows former student to teach at Sierra Academy. But, I wonder how; how many a students apply for the program and how many are turned away. Especially in there times. Is there hope for a wanna be?

I once spoke with a person there who was answering the phone for someone at their desk. They took down all of my info, including the fact that I had my ratings through Commercial. The next week, I called back, and got voice mail, twice.

No one ever returned my calls. I was to say the least, unimpressed.

Sierra

Your situation sounds similar to my own. I used to be a high school teacher in SoCal & changed careers. I had PPL at 29 and moved to train @ Sierra. I am now 30 and about to be a CFI. For a pilot who wishes to be his/her best, I highly recommend Sierra Academy.

My paraphrase of the Direct Track Internship is that if you progress at a "good" rate and achieve ground school scores of 90% or better, they'll hire you as an instructor. Currently, there is a small waiting list of CFI's waiting to be hired. Sierra CFI's with recommendation letters recieved guaranteed interviews with Am. Eagle & Cont Express - but those airlines aren't hiring or interviewing at this time.

With Sierra, I've earned Instrument, Commercial-SE, Commercial-Multi, & CFI (within a few weeks). For a pilot who wishes to be his/her best, I highly recommend Sierra Academy. If you have any questions, just send a private message & I'll help however I can.

L8R

Sorry, accidently pasted same sentence 2 times in last post.

Also, to address your other post about "any hope for a wannabe" - I don't know of any who are 'turned away' upon entering the program. There are some who don't perform (over time) and are released. After having met Direct Track req's, I don't believe anyone is turned away. However, because of the slow movements industry-wide, there is a short wait to get hired after becoming certificated to instruct. I think the longest anyone waited was about 6 months. Most of those waiting were hired in the past couple months (about 10).

Hope that helps....

Latest resources

Back