• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sierra Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am considering Sierra Aviation Academy in Oakland for my pilot training. I was wondering if anyone had any comments (positive/negative) about the academy? Thanks for the info!

I checked out Sierra about a year ago. It's a pretty good school with some pretty good instructors. The only reason why I did not choose to go there was the cost. The program cost is about the same as Comair,however cost of living in the Bay Area is frigging outragous. As for the school,the planes are a little on the older side and the buildings are a little run down...but the quality of the instruction is there. Their instructors were getting snapped up left and right by Skywest....I don't know if that's true now. My recommendation is to go check the place out....they're really nice about setting tours up(they took me around on a Saturday),they'll usually let you go up with a student and CFI for a flight(me being a airplane whore,went up twice),they let you talk to CFIs and students(i.e. getting the real deal) and print you up a estimate of training costs that is tailored to what your requirements. Personally I think it's a pretty good school.

The Bay Area is "chock full of" great FBO's and flying clubs. The West Valley Flying Club is the best club in the states...check it out.
The money you save can be used to get more multi time or pay your rent. I would avoid expensive flight schools...they are just trying to make a buck. I made it to the airlines with grass roots level part 61 trainning. All of my instructors are CA now at regionals...they went through part 61 as well.

If you can get your PPL in a Cessna 140 or any taildragger you can make it anywhere.

do not go to sierra academy of aeronautics. the bay area is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. they dont have a plane newer than 1980 and they charge 125 dollars per hour on C-172. as an instructor (if you can pass their stpud company interviews) you will only have 1 or 2 students because nobody wants to learn how to fly there. multi students go to the most senior instructor, which is not how its supposed to be but the place isnt run by their own book. you will NEVER get multi time there unless you instruct for over 1.5 years. also, as for the rumors of sierra guys going to skywest......that is true only because you get to know people at skywest just by instructing at the school. sierra has absolutley no ties at all with skywest. the HR person from skywest might stop by once a year to give a speach but thats it. you are on your own to get hired by an airline.
forget about sierra

A few years back when I was a flight instructor, I was given a student new to our school who had just left Sierra Academy because of how much money he had spent. I can't remember the exact amount, but all he had was his private pilot's license and an instrument rating and he had spent over 40k. I went the part 61 route, so the price was a bit of a shock. I spent that amount on all licenses up through the ATP, and that included recreational flying as well.

So, I expected that since this guy went through a "structured" program, that he must be a pretty good stick. I mean, after all, look how much money he had just spent.

This guy couldn't fly his way out of a paper bag. His instrument skills were embarassing, especially for someone who had just taken a checkride weeks earlier. On top of the that, he had an attitude problem, making excuses for why he couldn't fly the airplane. I kept an open mind and flew with him again, but wasn't any better the next time. The guy just couldn't fly on instruments. His VFR skills weren't much better. He didn't like the plan I had for his progress, which included remedial instrument training, saying he already had his instrument rating and just wanted to work on his commercial multi. After going through a few instructors at our school, he finished up at Sheble's and last I heard he started instructing there.

Not to represent that all Sierra Academy students are this way...this was just one example...could have been just a bad apple of the lot, but who knows....makes me wonder how he got through a checkride...

There are definately pros and cons to going to a big flight school like Sierra. I got my private at a small FBO and then did the rest of my training at Sierra. As I was leaving the FBO I was introduced to an ex Sierra student who was just starting to instruct at the Sacramento FBO. He had the same negative comments as above. I know things are different now than they were in the late nineties, but I do have to say this. I saw that small FBO isntructor on the seniority list at SkyWest and he's more than 100 numbers behind me. When we met he was lightyears ahead of me, and now I know going to Sierra made the difference. Did i spend a lot of money? Yes! Do I regret it? Not one bit!

How did you get your multi-time? I know it wasn't at Sierra. I know a bunch of guys who went there...unless your father was an oil shiek, there's no way a person can afford to get through the program without declaring bankruptcy....especially on Brazilia F/O pay. I used to split time with some of those guys to build up multi. Eventually they would go to other FBO's to teach.

As far as "structured" program people getting jobs faster...I disagree. It's all about the interview and flying the sim...you can learn that at any good FBO. If you have poor study habits, then a structured program forces you to study. The only problem is that when you get used to the "gravy" and go to a regional for ground school, it's going to be a shocker. It's all pretty much sink or swim self study...

On an end note...the best way to train and build time is All ATP's...no, I did not go there...but those guys built 100% multi...that's the way to go. Now I know many will have plenty to say about them. In hind sight training and building time as an instructor is a difficult process now matter where you go. So if your going to get it up the "hiney" it might as well be in a PA-44 rather than a PA-28.

Check out Mazzei Flying Service in Fresno, CA. I did all my training there and couln't be more satisfied. PM me with questions. And no, I don't work there.

I'm sorry did you say some guy spent 40K just for a Private and an Instrument??

He must be one dumb mo-fo to need that much training for the ratings.

2992Set

Latest resources

Back