• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Siegel says-SW to kill USAirways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm with a320drivr on this one. This is business pure and simply.

Good ol Herb owes it to his shareholders to find potential new markets, expand, grow and (most of all) profit. Wake up, this is the real world...survival of the fitess and kill or be killed. If Airways can't get it done (which they are not) get someone else in their that can.

I sorry if I am sounding cynical but nobody has done this to Airways but Airways management themselves.

Wrong title...

This thread should be titled "US Airways to kill US Airways", and should have been started back in the 90's.

getting rid of first class??? didn't they just add that to the shuttle which didn't have it before? they flip flop more then john kerry. Isn't the frequent flying business customer one of usairways most important customers? They have shrunk the first class on the 757's, and i see a lot of people at the gate getting turned away from first class after they ask for it. Then they gotta go sit in the middle. The middle on those things is really no different then southwest. And if you get stuck with the middle on any narrow body....you gotta go with jetblue.

Last edited:
Its like Home Depot, if you offer the best selection and guarantee the best price, come into markets and sell at a loss just to get customers in the door, then you too will put 17 major home improvement chains out of business. Not to mention countless mom and pop stores.

Majors should focus on what they do best (as said earlier). Why doesn't one of them just work on transcon and intercon only and let the low costs have the rest? I know this sounds crazy but how are you really going to compete?

Last edited:
Re: Wrong title...

Maynard said:
This thread should be titled "US Airways to kill US Airways", and should have been started back in the 90's.

You beat me to it Maynard, Southwest expanded in California in the vacume created by USAir tossing away assets they paid good money for in the PSA purchase. Within a few short years all they had to show for was a handful of high time MD-80’s and a bunch of demoralized employees that got to watch the systematic disassembly of their once great airline!

a320drivr said:
I find that hard to believe. This business is all about the all mighty dollar and providing results to share holders. If it means going into a city that will hurt Airways, oh well. Its called "doing business".

Dave Barger's (President of Jetblue) direct quote to a Jetblue classmate of mine (ex. USAir pilot living in Charlotte), when asked when Jetblue will open up service to Charlotte "we don't want to be the nail in USAir's coffin, we will let someone else do that. We will continue to evaluate the situation. Someday we will be in Charlotte." Shortly after this quote, SWA announced PHL service. Is SWA in PHL the "nail in coffin" that Dave Barger mentioned? Who knows. But I do know Dave has a heart.

Clearly, if CLT, RIC or PIT were the only remaining holes in Jetblue's route system, then you could bet we would be running USAir out of business. However, there are many other routes and cities out there, so pure altruism is not the only reason Dave Barger is holding off. At the moment (or at least as of a month or so ago when Dave was on my classmate's jumpseat), Jetblue is not taking a "kill USAir" approach.

Skirt

I think it is in jetBlue's best interest for US Airways to survive-for now that is. We don't have the resources to divert to any of U's hubs if they went down the tubes. I hate to say it but a slow agonzing death of U will benefit JB in the long run. But hey, I'm just a pilot so what do I know.

Sip, don't gulp the Blue Aide

Some of you Blue Dudes and Dudettes are really drinking to much of what ever they are feeding you guys over there at JetBlue. I agree with a320drvr, its all about the money. Its retarded to think otherwise. It is easy for the Mgmt. at JB to take the high and mighty, "we have heart, we don't want to put the last nail in the coffin" , road when you only have 55+- airplanes. In reality, if JB had the resources they would be anywhere they thought they could be to get rid of competition and make money. Its called Business. If you Blue God worshippers would take a step back and look at the situation as what it is, "A Business", not some new age esoteric movement, you might not sound so brainwashed and naive.

It all boils down to marketshare and making money!!

JMHO

B6Busdriver said:
I think it is in jetBlue's best interest for US Airways to survive-for now that is. We don't have the resources to divert to any of U's hubs if they went down the tubes. I hate to say it but a slow agonzing death of U will benefit JB in the long run. But hey, I'm just a pilot so what do I know.

This is absolutely correct. If USAir "dies or is killed" today, the wolves will be there in a second. It is much better (sad as it is) if it dies slowly. Like it has been said many times before, it is very much their own fault that the business is going away to others. It is the nature of business, airline or otherwise. If you have a cruddy product, people will buy elsewhere. Once again, sad but true.

And to back up whay Skirt said about our boss not wanting to see USAir go away, she is correct. I have heard him say the same thing to me directly and to a host of others. We are in the middle of setting up in LGA for example. If USAir goes away, it would be a storm in LGA and not good for us at all. Same holds true for CLT and other NC cities. No lies, just plain fact.

C yaaaaa

Latest resources

Back