Sids/stars

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

notapilot

If you are departing on a SID that has an at or below altitude restriction at a fix, are you able to disregard the mandated altitude restriction if prior to crossing the fix you are instructed by ATC to climb to an altitude higher than the restricted altitude?

This question also applies to a descent on a STAR with an at or above restrictions, but given a descent below the restriction prior to reaching the fix.

Also, it used to be published on the charts not to descend via the SID (with manadatory crossings) until instructed to do so. I have noticed that wording has disappeared from all charts.

If you are departing on a SID that has an at or below altitude restriction at a fix, are you able to disregard the mandated altitude restriction if prior to crossing the fix you are instructed by ATC to climb to an altitude higher than the restricted altitude?
Yes you can climb unrestricted to the newly assigned altitude.
This question also applies to a descent on a STAR with an at or above restrictions, but given a descent below the restriction prior to reaching the fix.

Also, it used to be published on the charts not to descend via the SID (with manadatory crossings) until instructed to do so. I have noticed that wording has disappeared from all charts.
In this case altitudes on a star only apply when you are verbally cleared to descend via. Otherwise maintain last assigned altitude even if it is lower than the published altitude for that portion of the star

ATC has to reissue the restriction every time. EVEN if there is an at or ABOVE restriction, if you check on and departure says "climb and maintain 1-5 thousand" and the plate says "cross KEGGS at or above 13000" you can cross KEGGS below 13000.

They would have to say "Climb and maintain 1-5 thousand, cross KEGGS at or above 13000" or they'll sometimes say "climb and maintain 1-5 thousand comply with the restrictions".

SO MANY pilots don't know this.

In most cases the published at or below altituide is to protect for some sort of airspace. The controllers have the knowldge when to use that particular airspace (i.e. when its hot or not). So, yes follow the verbally given instructions in this scenario.

You have to use some good judgement too.

Some crossing restrictions are due to terrain, not airspace. It's not always easy to determine.

if you are on a sid that has an at or below restriction and atc assigns a higher altitude you can disregard the restriction. Okay I understand that. Why put the restriction on the plate in the first place? I have never heard climb via. It is confusing. Especially when everyone is not on the same page, me included

if you are on a sid that has an at or below restriction and atc assigns a higher altitude you can disregard the restriction. Okay I understand that. Why put the restriction on the plate in the first place? I have never heard climb via. It is confusing. Especially when everyone is not on the same page, me included

How about for Lost Comms?

Latest resources

Back