Shuttle Launch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

N271FE

At work on a really slow night, I was excited to watch Endeavour go up on NASA TV... until it was scrubbed a couple mins before launch.

The last night launch of the shuttle...

Tune in tomorrow morning around 4am for the retry!

Dispatching a space shuttle has it own unique flight mins.. last night was scrubbed due to low ceilings..as a cloud deck moved in from the NW .. Takeoff/ launch mins are 6000'. This is to support what is called the RTLS abort.. (Return to Launch Site)... an yes their is the best of instrument apch systems on board.. however should an RTLS be required, it is 1) considered a very violent event which can cause temp loss of control and injuries to crew, as well as a high % of a water landing which is not considered surviable.. so they dont want the crew having to deal with visability issue under that stress.. 2) NASA wants to be sure to have video of the entire launch and or RTLS...as the orbiter would be over 200 miles down range and over FL 2500... yea 250,000' before it turned around to KSC.. amazing

This is all painfull to watch for those here that have dedicated alot of years to the program..It's a sad time .. The president, as you all know by now, has killed all future manned programs once shuttle ends in September.. He cancelled constellation along with the $9 billion YOU the tax payers already spent, plus $2 billion more just to get rid of entire programs assets.. Congress till has the final say..by voting on the 2011 budget.. so NOW is the time to contact your congressmen to support a US manned Space program..

This will be the LAST night launch.. enjoy it as it stand now, it will be the last in our lifetime....

Last edited:
"Wish you good luck and Godspeed," Launch Director Mike Leinbach radioed to Endeavour...

A pretty awesome sight of a beautiful night launch!

Ok, now back to work...

I know this is an old topic but I just want to share the fact that I am going to try my hardest to attend the April 5th launch date. This is my first time to see any launch and it's always been a dream of mine to see the Shuttle. Needless to say, I can't wait! :)

Any tips for a first timer?

BAd I live here.. worked on the program for 25 years.. Pm me so we can get in touch, I have helped many others here.. including best biewing sites, and updates to the launch day and times..

Shuttle Launch information April 5th Launch

Hey I have received several PM's requesting local information about this shuttle launch.. I'll try to provide the basics..:

1) Your schedule Must be flexable as many things can come up causing delays.. Because of the very tight launch window to reach the International Space Station, last delays usually mean holding off to the next days opportunity.. Weather, or mechanical issues can cause this.. so plan your attempts to see this by adding a few extra days to your time here..

2) Getting passes to see this launch at the space center is not something I have much information about.. I understand it can be difficult, however more information can be seen on the KSC Vistors information center web site.. this attraction is a must see while you are here anyway.. and its not expensive, have bus tours out to the complexes,, however you wont be able to get close to the pads when the shuttle is out there, but still worth it..
3) the BEST place to see the launch for FREE, is on out sleep little town of Titusville.. we are directly across the river from KSC and the pads.. the distance is about 10 miles.. (remember) no one get any closer then 3 miles so this is pretty good.. we have US 1 all the way through the city with many viewing areas.. some charge to park you car there, but many side streets are available with a small walk.. On the North end of the coty is Space View Park, there you will find piped in NASA radio feeds and a greeat view.. I highly recomend this area...

We have hotels in Titusville out by i95,, so you will need a car to get to the river.. Do searches on this and Titusville.. and you cant go wrong..

Don't miss the opportunities this is 1 of the last 4 launches.. If there is anymore i can think of, I'll post it here.. if you have questions, please post it here so everyone can see it and my answer..

Ps.. the sound veries based on the wind direction.. the only way to really feel it like I described above is to be a badged employee standing by the 3 mile fallback area.. but the sound is still quite nice from the areas I mentioned..

Here is a link from the City of Titusville web site http://www.titusville.com/page.asp?navid=204

which points out all the viewing sites for shuttle launches.. I wish and hope everyone can see this vehicle fly in person just once in their life.. expecially at Night.. you will never forget it... good luck, keep abreast of the Launch dates and times as they can change...

If I hear of anything changing.. I'll post it here..

Here is a link from the City of Titusville web site http://www.titusville.com/page.asp?navid=204

which points out all the viewing sites for shuttle launches.. I wish and hope everyone can see this vehicle fly in person just once in their life.. expecially at Night.. you will never forget it... good luck, keep abreast of the Launch dates and times as they can change...

If I hear of anything changing.. I'll post it here..

There is also a bed and breakfast right off of US1 along the river. You could walk to the river, and see the shuttle on the launch pad, in about 2 minutes...

Pre-dawn launch 0621, should be a beauty!.

Here is a pretty good web site that keeps up with the space center here.. and a few links to the KSC attractions... The Bed and Breakfast spoke of is a nice little placem better call to see if any room..

By the way, this will be a Pre-dawn launch at 0621 local.. so it should be really pretty, the eastern horizon will be starting to light up, and the shuttle will be flying right into the rising sun.. so this time slot will provide another unusual opportunity for a different view from the ground..

Assuming a clear morning, no or little clouds, this launch will be quite visable all the way up the eastern seaboard, maybe till the outter banks area before the sun will cover it up..

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sts131-shuttle-launch-date-set-100326.html

Latest resources

Back