Shuttle America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ALIMBO

I have awhile before I can even consider applying to Republic but I was wondering if ORD is a junior base for new hires? Reason being I'm from Chicago and I really don't think I am going to be able to afford to live outside of my parent's house on 1st year F/O pay with all the loans I have out now.

I doubt if Republic will continue hiring after the announcement today.

I have awhile before I can even consider applying to Republic but I was wondering if ORD is a junior base for new hires? Reason being I'm from Chicago and I really don't think I am going to be able to afford to live outside of my parent's house on 1st year F/O pay with all the loans I have out now.

Not the best day to be asking this question, but...they told the cancelled new hire classes today that they are "tentatively" looking at classes in july/august. In the 3Q, the DAL 175 deliveries will start up, with a 170 being transferred to the UAL flying. This might be good news for you since pretty much any hiring this year will be for Shuttle and the chances are good that flying will increase out of ORD.

When I got hired in late 2006, new hires might as well have pretended that ORD didn't exist as a base for about a year. There was no chance of getting it right out of training. Then ATL opened as a base, and all of a sudden ORD wasn't as senior any more. Now people are getting ORD right out of training. And since you said you have some time before you can consider applying, it might work out great for you. Fly your tail off now so you're ready when the hiring window opens up again.

Also, if I recall correctly ORD was also a very junior base for Skywest on the CRJ.

I have considered Skywest also but I don't know what to do. I graduate next may and I start CFI'ing hopefully the end of summer I don't think Im going to have enough time to be hired at either republic or skywest so should apply to regionals with very low mins or wait a few more months and cfi until I can reach the mins at either of those two companies? Right now the only other place I'm looking at is TSA since I have a few friends that work there now.

the pilot shortage at the regionals that your friends may have benefited from is slowly coming to a halt. look for little or no attrition from any regional for quite a while until the majors pick up hiring again. with 5 airlines going under last week, and more on the horizon, my best advice is to stay in school, get a masters in something non aviation related. i know its hard pill to swallow, but believe me, it will be well worth it. at 225 hrs you're pretty limited as to where you can go. skywest, republic, and many others are slowing down hiring to nothing. with no hiring at the majors, and not much more growth at the regionals, equals little attrition, and little need for new pilots. like i said, get a second degree, masters, whatever, you'll be better off when the bad times hit!

the pilot shortage at the regionals that your friends may have benefited from is slowly coming to a halt. look for little or no attrition from any regional for quite a while until the majors pick up hiring again. with 5 airlines going under last week, and more on the horizon, my best advice is to stay in school, get a masters in something non aviation related. i know its hard pill to swallow, but believe me, it will be well worth it. at 225 hrs you're pretty limited as to where you can go. skywest, republic, and many others are slowing down hiring to nothing. with no hiring at the majors, and not much more growth at the regionals, equals little attrition, and little need for new pilots. like i said, get a second degree, masters, whatever, you'll be better off when the bad times hit!

Good post. Excellent advice.

Ya thats what it sounds like I just really hate school but the thought of picking up another major has been on my mind. But honestly I have no clue what else I should do? Suggestions?

I have considered Skywest also but I don't know what to do. I graduate next may and I start CFI'ing hopefully the end of summer I don't think Im going to have enough time to be hired at either republic or skywest so should apply to regionals with very low mins or wait a few more months and cfi until I can reach the mins at either of those two companies? Right now the only other place I'm looking at is TSA since I have a few friends that work there now.
Those low minimums are going to very, very quickly go away. Many places are going to stop hiring, this will cause more then enough people willing to go to the regionals, they will in turn raise their minimums. My advice to you would be to chose a good place to be in instructor for a few years, build up your time, keep dropping resumes and enjoy instructing. Nothing wrong with being an instructor for a few years,it is a fun job.

Latest resources

Back