• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle America: Pool or Ocean?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Harrison... Sit down, take a breather, enjoy a cold iced tea, and relax.

Short version of the story is no, people haven't left (well one FO left for a job at one of the larger regionals and a cap is leaving for a job at a very major company indeed). The pay cuts do not apply to the pilots because the union vote (still ongoing) has very little chance in passing. Yes, the notice is very short for this new class, but it's allegedly going to be a dozen new-hires and six upgrades, if the story is as I have been led to believe.

I don't know what's REALLY going on, but a month ago we all received an e-mail saying we were "perfectly crewed" for the remainder of the year. Now, suddenly, we're not. Why? Good question. I have theories but I'm not prepared to air any of them on here... Let's just say that I will count this as a GOOD thing.

Can't tell you what to do... And I know you're frustrated with what's happened to you so far, but if this upcoming class date is really this much of a problem, and you are this angry and cynical towards a company you haven't even started working for yet, maybe you would be better off fueling airplanes or waiting for that next big break (as there are so many of those these days!). I'm guessing that you could find another job with the kind of flight time you have...

I don't know what else I can say about this. Every job offer is a gamble and it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to leave what you've got for something else.

Last edited:
I ditto what Mr. Freley says. In fact, get used to this type of treatment and get a thicker skin if you are going to work for a regional. You can be sold off, furloughed and displaced in the blink of an eye at the airlines. Here's a story for you, as an example (Freley's already heard this one....)

I upgraded to captain on the Saab last year right before 9/11. After two days on the line I was furloughed. The company said they'd try to recall us as soon as possible. I had a few other job offers come up, so I called the company to find out the status of the recall before making a decision to accept. The company kept going back and forth between promising a recall and then saying the company would be furloughing again. They finally said there was no chance of a recall, financially they were just too bad off. I took another job. Two weeks later, the company recalled me.

This kind of stuff doesn't happen at the just the smaller regionals. Look at Eagle. Those poor pilots don't know if they will be working for Eagle, Carribean Star, American or furloughed in the next two months. That's the way management works. Everything is on a "you don't need to know" basis. So if you want to be an airline pilot, lighten up on Shuttle America and take the job. There are no promises no matter which airline you go to work for.

There are rumors abound of Shuttle America gettting Eagle's old Saabs and getting more flying in the Northeast. Have you heard Eagle is pulling out of JFK? Are you a gamblin' man? I'm sure Mr. Freley has heard this rumor and many others as well. If you are looking for a sure thing, don't go to work for a regional airline.

More importantly...

It might occur to you in the future that management at various airlines have been known to "monitor" the goings-on on these aviation message boards... The Chief Pilot of Shuttle America being a pointed example, in this case... Who apparently owns a computer and was quite interested in your posts.

Using your REAL NAME as your login name is probably not a hot idea if you are at all interested in maintaining your anonymity.

Just a thought, Messr. Harrison. Time for a new login name....

Last edited:
That Was Important I.P.

Maybe Harrison thought his glimmer of wit might make his name look good on this board... No! that was stupidity. On a previous note, I have worked for a few regionals and the "bull" that we take is consistent with many companies. The pilot gets the short end one way or another with pay guarantees, equipment, expensive bases or just about any other gripe you have with your current job or future at Taco Bell. Just know that this industry swings and we have to work together within the company to make it as painless as possible for the long haul which is what we have now.

Latest resources

Back