Shoulder Surgery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JJET44

Has anyone here ever needed shoulder surgery for torn muscles in the rotator cuff? If so what is the required procedure concerning your medical? Are you required to report it immediately? Will they ground you until the surgery and rehab is completed? Is there a special physical that needs to be preformed to prove your fit for flight?
Thx in advance,
JJet

I never had shoulder surgery, but I've had a shoulder injury and also ACL surgery. Both required me to be off work for an extended amount of time. You don't need to report anything immediately. You pull yourself offline, and when you are fit to fly again, reinstate yourself.

When you're due for a new medical, you will report your surgery and doctor visits. My AME then made sure I had full use of my shoulder/knee. e.g. squats, leg extensions, and/or arm raises.

Actually if your injury limits you range of motion and you can no longer perform duties such as lifting your arm above your head to manipulate switches on the overhead panel, you are required to inform your AME and only he can determine if you are ready to return to work. This is according to my AME when I went for my medical a few weeks ago.

Go with PT, Physical Therapy if at all possible, worked great for me with a partial tear in the ACL

Believe it or not I'm not the one with the torn muscles. Ive just asked to help out a friend who is needed a little guidance.

Actually if your injury limits you range of motion and you can no longer perform duties such as lifting your arm above your head to manipulate switches on the overhead panel, you are required to inform your AME and only he can determine if you are ready to return to work. This is according to my AME when I went for my medical a few weeks ago.

I don't doubt an AME said that. However, other than the form you use to apply for a medical, I don't know where it is in the regs that says you must report your temporary disability to your AME. I looked through Part 61, 67, 91, and also the AIM with no success to back up the AME's claim.

I know of others that have done what I described in my first post as well and never had any issue with AME's or the FAA. Maybe dumb luck? Who knows.

I don't doubt an AME said that. However, other than the form you use to apply for a medical, I don't know where it is in the regs that says you must report your temporary disability to your AME. I looked through Part 61, 67, 91, and also the AIM with no success to back up the AME's claim.

Check out FAR 67.213(b)1

The general medical standards for a second-class airman medical certificate are:

(b) No other organic, functional, or structural disease, defect, or limitation that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on the case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the condition involved, finds-

(1) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held; or

If he can't perform flight duties due to a physical limitation he no longer qualifies for a medical under this class or any class. If you can't lift your elbow above your shoulder due to this injury or temporarily due to the surgery, he has a physical limitation.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back