• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shoulder-fired missiles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as we don't see terrorist in duck blinds practicing we shouldn't have too much to worry about. Even with a SA-14 they need to get the misslie within 200 feet of the airplane to get a heat lock on. So far none of the terroist know how to shoot a flying target out of the sky. Of course we are talking about people that hit the FE with a whip when they want an airplane to go faster.:D

JetPilot500 said:
For what it is worth...a few years back in Africa, a Hawker Corporate Jet was hit by a SAM...not sure what kind. It blew the engine off, but was safely landed after the incident. This plane is much smaller than a CRJ. I'm sure there are a lot of factors involved here, but I think you'd have a decent chance if you were hit.
Interesting. I hadn't heard about that.

The problem is that the CRJ-200's APU compartment (or more properly, "aft. equipment bay") is a very sensetive area. A whole bunch of fuel, hydraulic, and bleed air lines all cross through a space the size of a Volkswagon. I shudder to think what would happen if something exploded in there.

However...I think this kind of attack occuring on U.S. soil is highly unlikely. As one Israeli security expert put it, we Americans have already closed the barn doors after the horses are gone. They're not going to hit us in aviation again.

They'll hit us where we're not looking.

(I'm kind of suspicious about those cruise-ship illnesses...)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back