Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I make the move to the regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

paid4training

Missing my family
I am currently flying an f-90 part 91 for two owners. I make about 40k plus a year and next year they are talking about a be200 or a personal jet. My goal is to fly for a legacy or whoever will hire me in a few years. Should I be getting prepared to work for a regional soon or continue my current path? I will be 40 yrs old VERY soon.... Thanks in advance

How much time do you have? I'd aim for the LCCs/Majors before the regionals. Try Alaska, Spirit, Virgin America, and JetBlue.

How much time do you have? I'd aim for the LCCs/Majors before the regionals. Try Alaska, Spirit, Virgin America, and JetBlue.

I agree. You have PIC turbine (F90 Kingair). Go for Jetblue, VA, or Spirit, and then make a move for a legacy if you don't like one of those. You may like the LCC and stay. But the Legacies will be hiring like mad in the next 4-5 years, and they will scoop up anyone at a LCC who wants to leave. Don't go for a regional. Network, go to job fairs, etc. Plenty of corporate people transition right to the legacies when there is bigtime hiring. Also, there were 3 pilots in my class that were in their upper 40s. They don't want all of their pilots the same age, that means they all retire at the same time (like in the next 4-5 years). They want to space it out a bit. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

How much flight time per year are you getting with your corporate gig? I know some build time very slowly that way. If you already have your ATP, and 1000 PIC Turbine, then I have to agree with the above statements... go to JetBlue, Spirit, Alegiant etc...
However; if you are still low time (less than say 750 hrs.) then I would consider a regional. Though movement to the left seat may be slow, you will build your total time. Try to get at least 1000 PIC turbine first, if you can...

If major hiring is as forecast, movement to a regional left seat may be fairly quick. Keep in mind though, that you are at the critical age where choosing a regional (and waiting for left seat time) may mean you are more likely to stay there.

Latest resources

Back