Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I Major in Commercial Aviation?!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am a senior in high school and I have been accepted at Univserity of North Dakota and I've wanted to become a pilot for many reason including: travel benefits, money, and the joy of flying. However with the job market with the way it looks it seems like majoring in commercial aviation is occupational suicide. I have talked to many pilots and I no becoming a pilot has a lot of draw backs. If anyone has any information that could persuade me to iether go into the aviation profession or not would be a HUGE HELP!!!! One of my main goals in life is to be able to travel and enjoy what I do for a living. But I will need a job for any of that to happen. If anyone has anything to say about what they think the airline business will be like in 10 years, ways to get flight time after college while earning enough money to live on or any information about military options please respond as soon as possible.

Thank You,
Student in Need of Advice

studt needs adv said:
One of my main goals in life is to be able to travel and enjoy what I do for a living. But I will need a job for any of that to happen.
Student in Need of Advice

You need to join the US NAVY. You will see these places you dream about A LOT faster than most civ airline pilots.

Funny, really, Even ironic. For years my inlaws would find out what I did or what I made, and to a man, always said, "go get a real job." What do you do for a living? You fly commercially? What do you want to do when you grow up?

Now they offer it as a degree.

Go figure.

I coulda been educated.

I coulda had a vee-eight.

(smacks forehead).

B.B.A. WITH A MAJOR IN AVIATION MANAGEMENT[size=-1]Required: 125 credits (36 of which must be numbered 300 or above, and 60 of which must be from a 4-year institution) including:[/size][size=-1]
I. General Education Requirements (see University GER listing).[/size]
[size=-1] II. College of Business and Public Administration Requirements (see College section).[/size][size=-1]III. The following curriculum:[/size]
[size=-1]
PRE-BUSINESS CURRICULUM
[/size]
[size=-1]Acct 200 [/size][size=-1]Elements of Accounting I[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Acct 201 [/size][size=-1]Elements of Accounting II[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]AtSc 110[/size][size=-1]Meteorology I (Lab Science)[/size][size=-1](4)[/size]
[size=-1]Comm 110[/size][size=-1]Fundamentals of Public Speaking[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Econ 201[/size][size=-1]Principles of Microeconomics[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Econ 202[/size][size=-1]Principles of Macroeconomics[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Econ 210[/size][size=-1]Intro to Business and Economic Statistics[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Engl 110[/size][size=-1]College Composition I[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Engl 120[/size][size=-1]College Composition II[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]ISys 217[/size][size=-1]Fundamentals of Management Information Systems[/size][size=-1](4)[/size]
[size=-1]Lang 101[/size][size=-1]Foreign Language[/size][size=-1](4)[/size]
[size=-1]Lang 102[/size][size=-1]Foreign Language[/size][size=-1](4)[/size]
[size=-1]Math 104[/size][size=-1]Finite Mathematics[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Math 146[/size][size=-1]Applied Calculus I[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Phys 150/150L[/size][size=-1]Physics for Aerospace Sciences[/size][size=-1](5)[/size]
[size=-1]Pols 115[/size][size=-1]American Government I[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Arts and Humanities (other than Language)[/size][size=-1](1)[/size][size=-1]
One of the following:[/size]
[size=-1]Anth 171[/size][size=-1]Cultural Anthropology[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Psyc 111[/size][size=-1]Introduction to Psychology[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Soc 110[/size][size=-1]Introduction to Sociology[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]
AVIATION COURSES[/size]
[size=-1]
AtSc 231[/size]
[size=-1]Aviation Meteorology I[/size][size=-1](4)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 100[/size][size=-1]Aviation Orientation[/size][size=-1](1)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 102[/size][size=-1]Introduction to Aviation[/size][size=-1](5)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 103[/size][size=-1]Introduction to Air Traffic Control[/size][size=-1](2)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 221[/size][size=-1]Basic Attitude Instrument Flying[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 222[/size][size=-1]IFR Regulations and Procedures[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 250[/size][size=-1]Human Factors[/size][size=-1](2)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 302[/size][size=-1]Air Transportation[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 308[/size][size=-1]Aviation Safety[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 323[/size][size=-1]Aerodynamics—Airplanes[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 324[/size][size=-1]Aircraft Systems[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 325[/size][size=-1]Multi-Engine Systems and Procedures [/size][size=-1](2)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 403[/size][size=-1]Aerospace Law[/size][size=-1](3)[/size][size=-1]
One of the following:[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 402[/size][size=-1]Airport Planning and Administration[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 405[/size][size=-1]Airline Operations and Management[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Avit 407[/size][size=-1]General Aviation Operations and Management[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]
ADVANCED BUSINESS COURSES
[/size]
[size=-1]Acct 315[/size][size=-1]Business in the Legal Environment[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Econ 303[/size][size=-1]Money and Banking[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Fin 310[/size][size=-1]Principles of Finance[/size][size=-1]3)[/size]
[size=-1]Mgmt 300[/size][size=-1]Principles of Management[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Mgmt 301[/size][size=-1]Production Management[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Mgmt 302[/size][size=-1]Human Resource Management[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Mgmt 475[/size][size=-1]Strategic Management[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]
[size=-1]Mrkt 305[/size][size=-1]Marketing Foundations[/size][size=-1](3)[/size]

[size=-1]Plus electives to total 125 credits[/size]

Continued below

The above option from UND seems like a good compromise between Aviation and Business. It should give you the skills necessary to continue on towards a Master's in another field should you so desire. Pay particular attention to the College composition courses :p .

The UND program has always been seen as a way into Northwest. If you want to work for Northwest then I would certainly go to UND and major in Aviation. I do have to ask though, is your ranking for wanting to be a pilot in order?:
travel benefits, money, and the joy of flying.
If so, you have your priorities in the wrong place. The only way to be successful AND happy at a career in aviation is if the joy of flying is first and foremost. Money has to take a back seat because most other professions offer much more in the way of financial gain.

The joy of travel is not something that lasts for everyone. While you are young and single it can be a lot of fun. Even when you are newlywed and travelling as a couple it can be great. Once you have children travel tends to take a back seat until such time as the kids are able to travel without much hassle. My point being that I wouldn't get into aviation for the joy of travel. In most cases you are not in a given city long enough to really enjoy it. That is while at work. On vacation/days off non-rev travel can be such a nightmare that it takes a lot of the fun out of going somewhere. I routinely buy full fare tickets, just like John Q. Public, so as to avoid the hassles of non-revving.

If you really enjoy travel to the extent that you want to live in a different country then join the State Department as a diplomat. It isn't a field I know a lot about but that, to me, would seem to be a better way of seeing the world. Either that or start your own import/export company and travel on business ( in Business Class of course ). Better still, become a writer for Lonely Planet. Work on the spelling and composition first :D .

Typhoonpilot

qmaster3 said:
You need to join the US NAVY. You will see these places you dream about A LOT faster than most civ airline pilots.
Hahaha...I joined the NAV to see the world and they stationed me at Pier 59 Little Creek Naval Amphib Base, a little over an hour drive from home. Went home every other weekend. Had to volunteer for Enewetok Atoll salvage operations just to get some time out of country.

But I think you're on to something, a young dude should get some time in the service, even if it's just to get out in world and see what life is like out side of living at mom and dad's house.

I agree with Typhoon regarding the degree option. It will provide you with the best of both worlds.

In addition, I agree with him on the "travel benefits" opinion. You are hardly ever in any city long enough to see the sights. The only things you are there long enough to see are "maybe" the hotel restaurant, the hotel room and the backs of your eyelids.

On your days off, the last thing you want to do is get on another airplane to go somewhere. Further, it is great to have travel benefits, but you have to have money to be able to enjoy those bennies! :)

Alot of people come into aviation with stars in their eyes and are quickly brought to reality. Flying all the time is tiring, hard on your body, and bad for relationships. Then there is the ever-present worry of furlough or total airline shutdown, as you are always at the whim of the management and their stupid decisions.

On the up side, the crews I fly with were some of the best people I have ever met. My airline was like a family, and for the most part, the crews stuck together. It was very apparent after 9/11. I know I would have defended the cockpit or my inflight crew to the death.

Just my two cents...

Kathy

Take it from a UND grad, a degree in Commercial Aviation gives you ABSOLUTELY NO SKILLS for anything else other than flying. If you have to try and find a job outside of flying to put food on the table, you are not much better off than a high school graduate! Get a degree is something you can fall back on. Don't get me wrong, flight training at UND is top notch, but the Commercial Aviation degree is a scam. Aviation Management would be an ok one to consider for reasons mentioned above. This would also allow you take advantage of all the flight training at UND (if you can afford it). Besides, the UND name on your diploma does help.

If I were to do anything other than that, I'd get a degree in a high paying field such as engineering and get my flight training at a place like www.allatps.com. Either way as soon as you get your commercial license, start doing everything you can to build time. During the summer, tow banners, do traffic watch, fly skydivers, etc. Those jobs take some searching, but they are out there.

Again, being a UND grad, it's frustrating to have graduated from one of the top Universities in my field, earned most of my ratings, almost complete with Air Force pilot (Guard) training, I still don't have enough experience to get a flying job that pays more than 15k per year. And since I put all my eggs in one basket with an Commercial aviation degree, flipping burgers looks like my only other option. Welcome to aviation.

My advice is to drink heavily.

And major in engineering.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back