Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Midnight Flyer

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Ok, sorry, here's another logging question.
I'm an airline captain with plenty of time, but looking for a better job, so need to get my logbook as accurate as possible.

I do have approximately 20 "gate turnbacks", accumulating to approx 10-15 hours of total time. Sure, we're only talking about 10-15 hours, but I don't want any potential discrepancies that could possible raise eyebrows with the interviewers. They ARE currently logged in my logbook, because I use a computer logbook program and everything is recorded. However, what is your opinion regarding if I should include it in my total time and included when applying for a job.

I've never gave it a second thought, but now that i think about it, it's NOT flight time. Some pilots say it counts as "block time", and technically it does, but I don't see how it counts as flight time. I think it shouldn't count as total time, since I didn't actually fly. I'm thinking about just deleting those "20 or so" gate mtc turnbacks.

comments???

I do have approximately 20 "gate turnbacks", accumulating to approx 10-15 hours of total time...

I've never gave it a second thought, but now that i think about it, it's NOT flight time.

Actually, it is, and I'd leave your log it is now.

FAR 1.1:

Flight time means:
(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing...

Starting up and heading for the runway is for the purpose of flight, even if something broke and you had to come back to the gate.

Something like starting up to taxi across the airport to another parking spot would not be, because flight was never intended. That's the key difference.

I always log it, but I just have to be really cautious to not count it as cross country too since my computer logbook autofills that column in for me.

I log it in my little red book as "flight time" for purposes of monthly, yearly, etc, as does the company, though I seldom approach limits...
For my personal logbook, I only log flights where the plane flew.

I log it in my little red book as "flight time" for purposes of monthly, yearly, etc, as does the company, though I seldom approach limits...
For my personal logbook, I only log flights where the plane flew.

Best answer IMHO.

You only bolded half of the the important parts. The airplane has to fly to log it.

Flight time
means:

(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing...

Actually, it is, and I'd leave your log it is now.

FAR 1.1:

Flight time means:

Starting up and heading for the runway is for the purpose of flight, even if something broke and you had to come back to the gate.

Something like starting up to taxi across the airport to another parking spot would not be, because flight was never intended. That's the key difference.

Log it......

If u leave the gate knowing you are coming back than it is not intent to fly......but leaving the gate with intent to fly is log-able.............

You only bolded half of the the important parts. The airplane has to fly to log it.

Flight time
means:

According to the Chief Counsel Office of the FAA, the key words here are 'for the purpose of flight'. No where in that regulation does it state the aircraft has to actually fly. Further more, under air carrier regulations, those times do count toward your maximum flight/duty times. They are log able. Don't over think this.

I am not over thinking anything. If the airplane did not land, then it did not fly, and it is not flight time. It is right there in the reg that was quoted. I agree that all flight time counts toward max flight/duty times including taxi time if flight was involved.

According to the Chief Counsel Office of the FAA, the key words here are 'for the purpose of flight'. No where in that regulation does it state the aircraft has to actually fly. Further more, under air carrier regulations, those times do count toward your maximum flight/duty times. They are log able. Don't over think this.

10 -20 hours over your thousands of hours(i'm assuming) does not make a difference. If a company does not hire you over 10 hours you might not want to work there anyway. If they even ask you about it.

Latest resources

Back