• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I go for my CFI or change careers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, I can use Kit as a reverse barometer? No matter what he says, it's wrong? What if I confirmed that the retirements he speaks of are going to occur? I think the pilot shortage was just beginning to happen before we were attacked. Of course, nobody knew that was going to happen, and it changed everything forever, but retirements are still mandated by law, and the airplanes will still need pilots. Anyway, I have never seen Kit, or anyone else state there would be a pilot shortage. Only a shortage of QUALIFIED pilots. So, get qualified today, and perhaps tomorrow, you will be one of the guys who catch the next wave.

Been there, done that....

I walked away from a Grand Canyon job to go to the ATC academy. I had about 1000 total but hated my boss, wasn't making squat, and it didn't look to good for flying careers at the time...85ish. I had always thought being a controller would be cool and had enough points between my flying background, written test, and college, to get in. I actually washed out of the academy, along with 16 of the 20 in my class, but did well enough to be an ATA at LAX tracon. Was there for 1.5 years, and while I have no regrets, getting back into flying was the smartest move I ever made. Most of the controllers I worked with thought I was nuts to not keep flying....they were right. I have a buddy who is senior at SEA tower. He's been in the career longer than me, works way harder, and makes less than I do....although he is over six figures.

My advice would be to get the CFI, go ATC if you really want to and see how you like it, instruct on the side, and see what happens. You can always fly full time later.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I think I'll sitck it out and get my CFI. I can always go to ATC later. i am young and single now so I can take some big risks!

Latest resources

Back