Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I become a police officer or nurse or stick with it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

ATP CFI-I MEI 2400 TT 265 ME previous 135 experience. Should I stick this out and try to get hired by a regional? I have done VERY little flying in the past 2 years but I am current. I was thinking about becoming a police officer or nurse just for job stability and because I will never be out of a job. Any advice from anyone that has been there done that?

Do both, if you can.

Heck, do all three. (OK, kidding......)

I know plenty of pilots who are also police officers or who have a nursing degree.

There is no reason you can't do both.

First thing is ONLY YOU can make that decision. People talk about the perks of the airline business LOL. If you want stability get out of this business because if your heart is not in it, eventually that is what your are going to do anyway. So you are better leaving now rather than wasting 3 years and then making a career change. Fly because you love not for the money or the prestige because the latter two are slowly getting chipped away. Remember with decisions come consequences and whatever decision you make you must be prepared to deal with the ramifications of that decision. And by the way police officers and nurses are not exactly on easy street either

My wifes a nurse and I used to be in law enforcement. I can't recall me ever worrying about my job. My wife works part time 2x12hr shifts a week with benefits that are great. She pulls in 35k part time and with my first year salary at 20-23k we need it. If I could stand the blood and guts, I'd be a nurse that works "per-diem." You're only required to work 4 shifts a month and you pick the days. The only catch to that is no bennies. Being a cop is a full time job though. My cousin was a 12 year cop in CA making 100k a year. He works for a great department though. I was working through college part time as a Community Services Officer (setting up radar trailers, working special events, traffic reports, etc...) at the same department making 40k. Not bad for a college kid. A lot of money to be made in the public service sector. Good luck! If you want to PM me I could fill you in more if you have any questions.

CM

I come home from an extended 4-day to basic cable and a mediocre apartment because I have always enjoyed flying enough to make the sacrifices at home to continue doing what I love. The day I stop enjoying the regionals will be the day I quit and find a flying job elsewhere. Only you know what you really want.

-Brett

Before you go the nursing route, two words: "Gastrointestinal Bleed." (Or should that be three words?) Oh man, that is the worst smell you can imagine. I don't know how our medics do it...foul!!!

If your an *********************************** become a cop.

And if you are a scumbag who breaks the law all the time then you call cops names.

The above post is a drawback to being a cop. People either love you or hate you. And the majority that really hate you are because you gave them a traffic ticket they felt they did not deserve or in duck_killers case you were a child sex predator and were caught on an online sting.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back