• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yup.

or powerplant, if you prefer.

skydivinguy said:
Maybe you meant the ENGINE?
I have to be careful of all the enginists when I'm out riding my enginecycle.

He specializes in my airframe - Searey which only uses the Rotax enigne. He doesn't know the service bulletins. Or do the maintence as outlined by Rotax.

Your mechanic doesn't know or perform the service bulletins, and doesn't execute the maintenance per the manufacturer, and you wonder if you should keep him as your mechanic? Do you still wonder this after two engine failures? How does he know the airframe, but not the powerplant?

You're not going to find a lot of certificated mechanics with Rotax experience, but you'd do well to seek one out. Sounds like you've knocked that one out already by going to Lockwood.

I don't charge a client for learning his aircraft, only for the work done. I may take extra time on a job to understand something, but the client doesn't get charged all that time; it's not ethical. You shouldn't be paying someone to learn on and experiment with your aircraft, either.

I kinda agree with AvBug. You are paying him good money because he is the expert. You are not paying to educate him.

Have you sat down and had a calm conversation with him. Explain to him everything you have said to us and see how he responds. Ask him if he really thinks that price is fair...considering he is somewhat to blame and the amount of time without your aircraft.

If he doesn't budge...chalk it up as an expensive lesson, share your experience with others on the field, and find you another A&P.

All that said...I think there were plenty of warning signs that this guy doesn't need to be working on your aircraft...so you need to take a little responsibility for being stupid.

Stupid is expensive!

Rotax engines take special maintenance. Find someone who knows what he's doing. Lockwood are Rotax pro's, they take care of you. I'd change shop yesterday.

Latest resources

Back