Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should have been a helicopter pilot.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Photoflight

AIR rAMBO
According to a radio ad played here all weekend in DFW. Theres a massive shortage of helicopter pilots. In just a few short months I could have my COMMERCIAL HELICOPTER PILOTS LICENSE and be making 50-100K. I would have no payments for loans until after I started my career and its cheaper than college. I knew there was no future in fixed wing.

That's funny.

That ad has about as much credibility as Saddam Hussein at a Bar Mitzvah.

Trust me on this one.

No doubt the ad came from kit darby and air inc, he's branching out. Next up, shortage for banner tow pilots. I can hear the ad now."live near the beach, no night flying, always VFR."

onthebeach said:
That ad has about as much credibility as Saddam Hussein at a Bar Mitzvah.

Trust me on this one.

LOL! :D

Now, now... They aren't THAT bad... My paycheck clears the bank every two weeks. ;)

I started my career flying helicopters; received my CFI-H in the early 90's and then promptly spent the next two years looking for a full-time CFI position. A year later, with the economy still in recession, I went back and received my airplane ratings (no airplane CFI).

I still think of flying helicopters but now fly for a 121 regional. Way back when, two high-time helicopter pilots whom I respected gave some wise advice. They both, to a man, said if they had to do it all over again, they'd fly airplanes. Both then clarified their comments and said if they truly started over again, they wouldn't fly anything professionally.

The helicopter world doesn't offer as wide of available career options. Start as a CFI, move onto offshore work, then maybe move onto EMS or ENG flying. Maybe a season or two in Alaska. Flying helicopters is a very hard to make a living. Offshore and EMS are the two most dangerous options. ENT is boring - hovering OGE all day while dealing with a pompous, arrogant TV reporter (I used to fly traffic watch - same theory).

I truly love helicopter flying. To this day, I still remember more about helicopter flying and aerodynamics than airplane-related stuff.

As for this quote...

onthebeach said:
The helicopter industry is not for everyone. It's a true statement to say that most people in general would be far better off staying away from aviation, and equally true that most people in aviation who are contemplating going into the helicopter field would be best advised to take a couple of aspirin and lie down until the feeling passes.
There's a lot of wisdom written there.

I believe we should all pursue our goals. If nothing else, you can say you tried!

Good luck!

Peace

SF

I'm not sure of the helicopter company but surely there cant be that many in the DFW area. I do feel sorry for the people who fall prey to this ad, especially those who opt for this instead of college.

Helicopter Jobs

I started out as an Army UH-1H "Huey" pilot. I got my fixed wing later, due to shortage of Helo jobs. Ended up getting my first civilian flying job as an ENG pilot Bell 206B3.

I flew for a local NBC affiliate and had a blast. It was their first helicopter and they wanted me to fly everywhere and for everything. I ended up getting a CE550 copilot gig because the Capt BS'd with me everyday and the owner thought it was cool that I could fly both F/W and R/W. That lead to a BE58P job then BE90F and finally a 121 Regional airline. Been there over 6 yrs now. It has been a wonderful ride.

I still fly helicopters (AH-64A) in the Guard. Except for a tour in Iraq (getting shot at is no fun) it is a blast. As a Regional Capt and a very senior Warrant Officer in the Guard, I make a good living.

Photoflight said:
According to a radio ad played here all weekend in DFW. Theres a massive shortage of helicopter pilots. In just a few short months I could have my COMMERCIAL HELICOPTER PILOTS LICENSE and be making 50-100K. I would have no payments for loans until after I started my career and its cheaper than college. I knew there was no future in fixed wing.

I heard the same ad looking for COMMERCIAL AIRLINE PILOTS!!!:erm: Strange coincidence if you ask me!!:beer:

Latest resources

Back