Should Delta Spin Off Comair and ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bvt1151 said:
There is one factor we're not considering...Comair and ASA MEC's have petitioned to merge the lists. If I understand the legal part of this correctly, the MEC's could be able to force Delta to merge the list with something to do with "common carrier."

Sorry, but this is a misconception. What you are calling "common carrier" is actually "single carrier" .... a ruling that would come from the NMB (National Mediation Board). This type of ruling deals only with union representation. It has nothing whatever to do with corporate mergers or single seniority lists. ASA and Comair are already represented by the same labor union, i.e., ALPA. Therefore a "single carrier petition" is irrelevant and would accomplish nothing.

There is no legal way for the MEC's or the ALPA to force Delta to merge ASA and Comair.

It is nothing more than an ill advised pipe dream that we should not be wasting any energy to pursue. If Delta management wishes to merge those paper corporations (ASA/CMR) it will do so and it will cost the pilots nothing. Obviously they do not want to do that or they would have already done it. Tryin to "buy" a merger, especially one that would produce zero tangible benefits for the pilot groups, is a bad idea. Even if ASA/CMR pilots all agreed to fly for free, I doubt you could convince Delta, and if you did convince them on that basis you would gain absolutely nothing other than a very doubtful increase in leverage at the bargaining table. Leverage you would then be required to use trying to get back to where you are now.

Delta would no longer be able to play you against each other (ASA/CMR) but they haven't done much of that anyway. They would still have the same ability to whipsaw you with Delta mainline, SkyWest, Chautauqua and who ever replaces ACA or comes out of the woodwork later on.

I admit I haven't been able to figure out what iyour MEC's think they would gain from this CMR/ASA merger. I guess that's why they're smart enough to be on the MEC and I'm not. I sure wish they'd focus on something beneficial instead of something politically correct.

I sure hope the Comair and ASA MEC's have considered that all Delta has to do is sell one of them to prevent all this merger nonsense.

Delta does not have to sell one of them to prevent a merger. If you really think that it's another misconception. All that Delta has to do is ignore the merger proposals, nothing more. In case you haven't noticed, that is exactly what they have done.

With respect to the spin off of Comair or ASA, I see a lot of comparison with the spin off of COEX (XJT) by CAL. The idea is similar but the scenario is not.

At the time that CAL spun COEX, the latter was the sole provider of CAL feed. The subsequent "contract" between CAL and XJT (a part of the IPO) could reasonably be expected to provide a relatively stable source of revenue for XJT, thus encouraging investors to participate in the IPO. It did generate substantial "cash" for CAL.

If Delta were to "spin off" either CMR or ASA or both, it would not be the same. The "new" (we'll say it's CMR for the purpose of illustration) company would not have an "exclusive" contract with Delta, such as XJT has with CAL. Instead, it would be competing for Delta business with no less than 3 other "regional" airlines that also have contracts with Delta (ASA, SKYW and CHQ). This would significantly reduce the value of the IPO to any investors.

It is not very logical to expect (as an investor) growth and earnings from a company engaged in a bidding war with three other companies and whose sole source of revenue comes from a contract with a financially unstable corporation (Delta).

Of course there is always a "sucker with money" who will buy anything that is offered. Institutional investors often do that, since they are not investing their own money.

The CAL spin off may have been financially beneficial to CAL, but it certainly has not been a good investment for the people that put money on the line. The IPO opened at $16, is currently trading at $13.5 and hasn't made a nickel for any investor from day one.

I realize there is always a fool willing to part with his money and a crook willing to take it, but I'd be hard pressed to see the desirability of buying stock in a spun-off Comair as a good opportunity.

All the reasons why this proposed sale is a "good idea" for Delta have been listed (and then some) in this and the other related threads floating around. The folks doing the writing would like to see it happen (to further their own parochial interests) and promote every alleged advantage to Delta that they can think of, while carefully avoiding any mention of the disadvantages to the potential investor.

Delta paid a lot of money (1.8 billions) to buy Comair four years ago and shortly thereafter took another 700 million dollar hit from a strike. While Comair may be profitable (I know Delta pilots don't think it is), it is unlikely that Delta has had time to recoup its investment. Comair once had a value that could be measured, but Delta has long since removed the yardstick. What new stock in a Comair might be worth is a best a bad guess. Maybe they would just like to "write it off" and get rid of Comair, we'll have to wait and see.

I happen to be one of the people that wishes that Delta had never purchased Comair to begin with, so I'm not against the idea of a separate Comair per se. However, the Comair that Delta bought four years ago does not exist today and would not be restored by an IPO. The business climate is likewise quite different. A "spin off" of Comair is not likely to create a truly independent company, but rather one fettered to Delta by a contract that would preclude any logical opportunities for Comair. Comair woud still be the same puppet that it is now with perhaps a different puppeteer. Additionally, Comair's senior mangement (that put it on the map) is gone. Comair is today saddled with doing a whole lot of things that it would never have done in that way but for the takeover by Delta.

The advocates (who seem mostly to be Delta pilots) had said that a spin off would allow Comair to seek contracts with other majors. That's interersting. I wonder what majors those might be? A bankrupt UAL, a failing USAirways, American with its own Eagle, NWA with Mesaba and PCL, CAL with XJT and others. The truth is there are no "other majors" with whom to contract, they are all married already. I suppose Comair could underbid Mesa and try to steal a contract. Why not? Everyone does that to Comair and I'm sure it would please the Delta pilots to see us working for less.

Delta pilots see Comair's "growth" as phenomenal because that's how Delta pilots think. Yes, more airplanes are being operated with the name Comair than before, but Comair hasn't grown, Delta has grown. They just don't call it Delta and the Delta pilots are unhappy because they aren't in CMR cockpits. The truth is if the RJs were being operated by "the mainline" and flown by Delta pilots, they would not be saying the things they are.

Now, if we could find a way to get Delta to truly "sell" Comair, that might not be a bad idea. An independent Comair could find a lot of things to do, but none of those things is likely to be pleasing to Delta. Comair was purchased to prevent it from being independent. If it is sold, it won't be done in a way that would allow it to be independent again.

Comair was once very attractive to investors and a successful Company. Delta killed it very effectively. An IPO in the style of CAL/XJT will not revive or return the Comair that once was, it will just create one more mundane, going nowhere, operation that may be of interest to pilots, but should not be of interest to any sensible investor.

If you'd really like to know how exciting it is to invest in a "regional airline" just go back a few years and look at the charts. I think you'll find that the only one that's made any money of any of them are the day traders. Speculators, not investors. Lot's of people go to Las Vegas, so I suppose you could find an equal number willing to invest in a Comair IPO. After all, NWA got somebody to buy Pinnacle.

"Comair was purchased to prevent it from being independent."

Surplus do you really believe this drivel? Comair was bought because it made good business sense to Delta and obviously the then Comair leaders. It became more financially viable to just own Comair outright instead of continuing on a contractual basis. Without that Delta traffic where do you think Comair would be right now? An honest assessment.

surplus1 said:
Comair was purchased to prevent it from being independent.

COMAIR had the opportunity to be independent, but CMR management did not want to take the risk. CMR also could have continued as an independent small jet provider, like Chautauqua or ACA, but CMR management new that they would not be as profitable as they had been under a very lucrative DAL contract. A contract that DAL would not extend, particularly since there were many other small jet providers available and willing to provide the small jet lift DAL wanted for far less than what CMR had been getting from DAL. CMR management chose to accept DAL's acquisition proposal since it presented the best option for CMR. CMR's management referred to the acquisition as a "win-win" and a strengthening of our relationship with DAL . Unquestionably CMR has benefitted from it's acquisition and has experienced 85% growth in the four short years since its acquisition.

The real question isn't if DAL will spin off ASA and CMR, but rather when and which will go first.

The only way I see a spun-off ASA or Comair being
attractive to investors would be to tie a specific
amount of DAL flying to either ASA or Comair.
Such as 45% (based on DAL block hours) of DCI
flying done by either entity as part of the deal.
That would make sure that the spun-off company
would not have to solely rely on their "low-cost"
structure to remain a part of the Delta family.

Just my $.02!

A ten year contract (or guaranteed flying) would be ample enough for most investors. Then, when trying to get additional flying from some other company--the new Comair/ASA management would request lower costs (pay cuts) to compete with the Mesa's and Chataquas out there--and investors would like that too. There is no way Dalpa would give up the 45% or whatever scope provision. As I keep saying in other posts---with lower fares coming and larger LCC's--we will need MORE larger aircraft with more seats to compete with the other guys. Dalpa will also probably give up a lot on pay to make sure we get that flying---probably set it up like Delta Express----less pay but more productivity.(an extra 5 hours per month etc...)

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

DAL737FO said:

Surplus do you really believe this drivel?

What I really believe is that the Delta MEC, composed of the Delta pilots writing in these forums, should replace the Board of Directors and Executive Officers of Delta Air Lines.

Delta's problem is one of management and I am convinced that if the General was Chairman of the Board, FDJ2 were CEO and DAL737FO President, things would get better.

You could then hire ALPA and Duane Woerth as your Financial advisers and CFO respectively. Follow that up with an increase in compensation and benefits for all pilots coupled with a lowering of your "cap" to 50 hours and an improvement in your rigs and within a few months Delta would be dominiating the airline industry.

Together you could eliminate all the regional jets and replace them with an equivalent number of new Airbus aircraft so that the Company might be able to distribute its costs over a greater number of empty seats, thereby allowing you to also recall all of your furloughed pilots, plus make good on your promise to hire all the ASA pilots.

You could then negotiate a new Scope clause with yourselves to prohibit AirTran from operating out of ATL, American from flying out of DFW and JBlue from operating out of JFK.

Your scope might be challenged by those fellows but that's OK. Voting as a solid Republican block you can guarantee the rellection of GWB, who would then repay you by declaring them all terrorist airlines with WMD and overthrow their BOD(s) putting them into chaos. Ashcroft would then declare your scope as fully compliant with the Patriot Act and dismiss all challenges to it. Powell and Condeleza would join your team as ambassadors and and threaten Chirac into giving you super seniority on Air France, just in case there were any bumps along the way or difficulties with your business plan.

WIth the pilots running the airline your success will be guaranteed, just as it was at KIWI.

Good luck.

Comair was bought because it made good business sense to Delta and obviously the then Comair leaders. It became more financially viable to just own Comair outright instead of continuing on a contractual basis.

If the acquisition made could business sense, if it was more financially viable to own Comair instead of contracting with it, what changed that into bad business sense that now requires its sale after only four years? Was it Delta management that turned Comair from good business sense and financial viability into the current loss leader that must now be sold?

Without that Delta traffic where do you think Comair would be right now? An honest assessment.

How about the owners of a much bigger AirTran and one of your principal LCC competitors.

Surplus1,

Now there is a plan! I like it. We could hire you as my "right hand man" or "Speech writer" (please, nothing over 3 pages...). I could get Caveman and Medflyer and make them my "sargents at arms" (sorry X-ream-me)--and they could "rough up" the people who don't like my plans. (ATRdriver and Wil would be senior VPs, along with Fins and Tim47SIP)

I never said that I would want to get rid of RJs, I just think that we need to replace them with larger equipment on routes that compete directly with LCCs. Those carriers are growing, and their routes are growing, and soon they will compete with us on many many city pairs. We will have to bring our fares down to their level, and then offer as many seats as possible to try to squeeze out a profit. Yes, we will also have to get our costs down (ie pay cuts), but that might not be enough. There are many other cities that the LCCs will not fly to, and those can be well served by RJs and have higher than normal fares. Look at today's announcement of new RJ service to Sioux Falls from CVG. I think that is great---probably higher fares for people who want to go there---and no chance of LCC service for the time being. How about CVG to Billings this Summer? I like that too. All RJ service form YYZ (Toronto) to ATL? Bad idea. DFW to SNA/ONT/OAK/PHX/DEN/MSY/MEM/TUS etc......not good. We need marketing to get it in gear and crank out some real advertising and go after customers. We then need new programs for better customer service and early retirement programs for all the old stews. And after all of that is done, I would like more bubble gum machines in the lounge! And I would like free shoe shines for all pilots! And stacks of $100 bills for each pilot as they walk out the door!

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

General,

The irony is I believe you really do want all of those things.

Look, I think it's great that you haven't just given away your contract in exchange for promises similar to those at AAA. I also think it will take more than a reduction in "pilot costs" to solve Delta's problems.

The bottom line however, is that pilots (like you or me) do not have the information or the ability to decide how this airline or any other should be run.

Throwing rocks at management for every decision that they make may give us a "good feeling" about ourselves, but it does not solve the problems. Ultimately, the people that are paid to run the airline have to be allowed to do it, for better or for worse.

The Company is not a democracy and we do not elect the executives nor do we appoint them. We may not like their decisions or approve of their methods but, like it or not, the future of this Company or any other will be determined in the Board Room, not in the cockpit. The sooner we accept that reality the better.

With fingers crossed, I wish us all the best. The truth is we are spectators, not coaches or even players. The outcome of the game will affect us all and determine our futures but we are not in control and all the rhetoric in the world will not put us in that position.

Surplus 1

FDJ2 said:

The real question isn't if DAL will spin off ASA and CMR, but rather when and which will go first.

I reccomend that you listen to the CC today, you can find it on yahoo/finance. Pay particular attention to the Q&A session and the two questions regarding a potential spinoff of CMR or ASA, instead of just coming up with this stuff off the top of your head and making yourself look foolish.

DDpaysoff,

Also look at the "$116 million" operating profit had they not pre-paid the pensions early, even though pension reform now allows them a two year extension. And, look at the $102 million expense this quarter alone on RJs. We are the scapegoat and you get the benefits.

Every stockholder would question greatly if we were ever "forced" into Chap 11 without selling off key assets first--like ASA/Comair. Don't say it could NEVER happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back