• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Shoe Help

skeezer

Yo
Total Time
Here's the deal. I have a pair of Docker's shoes that I wear with my uniform. They are really comfortable but they have metal screws in the sole's so I set off the metal detectors in just about every airport. I was Ok with getting frisked almost every day for a month or so, but now it is driving me insane.

Before I go through security I take everything off but my US Airways large piece of metal belt buckle and my shoes and I still set it off. Others do the same and make it through so I am pretty sure the shoes are a big factor.

Because I make squat for a living, I can't go around buying different pairs of shoes to see which will set off the detectors and which will not. Does anybody know of a brand that doesn't have metal screws, or know of a way to tell if they do or not (other than bringing a metal detector to the shoe store).

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Skeezer

alimaui

Total Time
150+
Try a pair of Doc Martins. They are good quality shoes. They are very comfortable!! And I believe no screws, just rubber. The basic style can be found in both black and brown, and other styles in many colors.

They run roughly $75-150 but will last you a long time provided you take care of them.

Ali

*Just a hint, if decide to go with Docs you might try taking them through the metal detectors just to make sure (before you start wearing them so they can be returned).

Last edited:

350DRIVER

I like Doc's alot (have 2 pairs) BUT all have the "famous" YELLOW string around the sole which is unsightly and I highly doubt that company will approve ATLEAST mine will not allow them...

Stick to your Bacco Bucci black leather shoes- much more classy and more comfortable than Doc's.

3 5 0

alimaui

Total Time
150+
350DRIVER said:
I like Doc's alot (have 2 pairs) BUT all have the "famous" YELLOW string around the sole which is unsightly and I highly doubt that company will approve ATLEAST mine will not allow them...

Stick to your Bacco Bucci black leather shoes- much more classy and more comfortable than Doc's.

3 5 0

So I suppose tie-dyed shoe strings wouldn't work.

(ali's brown docs have been most affectionately outfitted with these)

saabtrash

I suck.
Total Time
Go to a low end department store, Kohls, Mervins, etc.

I bought a pair of Croft and Barrow dress shoes over a year ago, they are real comforatable and look good. They cost $30 if I remember right. For me it's hard to justify wearing a pair of Docs or Bacco Bucci's when they are going to get de-ice fluid all over them anyway.

FearlessFreep

Total Time
??????
Try SAS Shoes. They might be a little pricey but comfortable footware is very important since you wear them all day and have to tromp all those miles through the terminal carrying a heavy load. They wear well and are very comfortable.

There are some outlet shops in Texas where you can get some good deals.

alimaui

Total Time
150+
OR

You could just go get yourself a nice big pair of fluffy slippers. They would be comfortable, friendly to your wallet, and I guarantee they do not have metal screws in them. And they would be comfortable for those long walks through those nasty airports.

:D :D :D

Ali