• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shocked at the state of Dispatcher Profession

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder if UPS and FedEx allow iPods on the dispatch floor?

I'll answer my own question: Probably not and not even a valid question so who cares.

After today I wish I could wear an iPod all day long to drown out some of the ridiculous sh.t and moaning I hear throughout the day. Actually I'd like to work from my house. No dress code, no 20 mile drive in this hellish city, lunch at home every day, no whining people around me, etc. It'd be like getting a raise.

I'll answer my own question: Probably not and not even a valid question so who cares.

After today I wish I could wear an iPod all day long to drown out some of the ridiculous sh.t and moaning I hear throughout the day. Actually I'd like to work from my house. No dress code, no 20 mile drive in this hellish city, lunch at home every day, no whining people around me, etc. It'd be like getting a raise.

Sounds familiar. I personally think crew scheduling should be moved across town. Nevermind across the airport to a different building. Thinking of buying/figuring out an iPod just to drown out all the whining I have to put up with all day. So crews, if you think you have it bad, come sit in a room with them for 10 hours a day.

SkyWest doesn't! Although many test this rule, along with the no shorts rule.

In my office one of the managers seems to be cracking down on people wearing hats...

I've got no beef againsit ipods or watching movies or sufing the net, just as long as your congnizant of your flights, produce releases correctly and check the radar to monitor flights progress. Way to many dispatch offices are micro-managed, and I think that only adds to the stress some dispatchers are put under. Fortunately my office is designed like a real office with no one starring you down and you can actaully see clear across the room and out the windows.

Guys,

I have been dispatching for 9 years now and when I started, it was great. I began my career at a charter company, left after the owners shut down the business to retire and went to PSA. I never would have thought that an airline would continuously operate the way they did. Hiring dispatchers that belong in the special olympics and expecting them to excel in a poor training environment. PSA constantly expected you to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. I stayed or 3 years and bolted to another charter company for twice the pay. My advice to any dispatcher that hasn't had the privelege of experiencing the 135 side of the fence; THE GRASS IS GREENER. The regionals aren't going to recognize the error of their ways until the good dispatchers jump ship to go elsewhere. PSA lost 4 supervisors in 3 months. It really opened some eyes at PSA because they had no experienced dispatchers willing to accept a promotion to supervisor and the people that were willing, just got their certificates. Find a charter company and go there! It is worth it.

they had no experienced dispatchers willing to accept a promotion to supervisor and the people that were willing, just got their certificates.

Hey hey, easy there BP. I know what you are getting at though, you should have been there to see the moron that just left. I wouldn't trust him to tie my shoe let alone work on an aircraft, in ANY capacity. Good to see ya still alive.

Hey hey, easy there BP. I know what you are getting at though, you should have been there to see the moron that just left. I wouldn't trust him to tie my shoe let alone work on an aircraft, in ANY capacity. Good to see ya still alive.

Sorry about that. Wasn't pointing the finger at everyone, just the fact that the airline keeps letting the good ones go because they'd rather have an un-experienced body that is willing to follow the fuel policy or be a puppet. PSA doesn't want free thinkers.

A couple of more thoughts:

Professional courtesy shows. Simply speaking to crew members in a firm and through tone will go to great lengths. There are several captains I work with who now call me by name when I work their flights. They know who I am (as a dispatcher) because they see I take the time to do simple things such as rounding off the gate fuel, listening to their concerns and responding courtesy and getting them in touch with someone else in SOC if I can't answer their question, (IE: MX issue, crew issue, etc.).

Addressing a captain with his name also goes a long way, they appreciate that and now due to that some of these pilots and I are on a first name basis when they call.

These guys are also aware of the turds in the dispatch department, and it seems like every time I'm on the jumpseat one of the pilots will ask about that one certain dispatcher and it usually goes into a conversation on what a poor and unprofessional dispatcher this person is. Give them time and a couple of more dispatchers at my place will be infamous enough to be brought up by crew members.

Just a couple of things I've learned through dx that I thought I'd share.

Latest resources

Back