Shengen visa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Piloto Chido

Anyone know if a shengen or French visa is required in advance of flying through Europe. I'm delivering an aircraft from US to Africa and won't be spending much time in Europe.

I just know that the rules change alot, and France is funny about flying through their airspace w/o proper docs.

Thanks in advance

Not for an American passport. Check the US Department of State to make sure. Their website has entry requirements.

A Schengen Visa is required for all crewmembers for entry into France. It is usually not checked, and shouldn't be necessary if you are just doing a tech stop.

Are you certain? Can you provide the link please? I have operated into CDG several times over the past 3 years and never required one. They have always just waved me through the line, half the time they don't even stamp my passport.

I spoke with some ferry companies, and it sounds as though you're ok as long as your first point of entry, and last exit from Euro-land is not France.

Since the UK is part of this union, as I understand, you could enter there (Prestwick for example), stop in France for fuel and croissants, and exit through Italy or Spain. A US passport with no advance visa should be good nuff for that.

Otherwise, if France is your only stop in Europe, you could be asked by Inspector Clouseau to produce a shengen visa, or a French business visa.

If anyone has info to the contrary, please share.

Thanks

Are you certain? Can you provide the link please? I have operated into CDG several times over the past 3 years and never required one. They have always just waved me through the line, half the time they don't even stamp my passport.

Effective April 1, 2007 ALL (Commerical and Corporate) US Flight crew members will require visas for France. The visa validity is determined by the expiration of your passport.

If your first point of entry into the EU is prior to France you don't have to clear customs in France, but it still required. Usually it is not checked but I wouldn't want to be caught without it. We got checked in Nice last summer.

The Visa is easy to get either through the French consualte or a Visa service like G3 visas. It's good for 5 years.

The quote from Wiki is followed by the statement that while the UK is not a full member, they did opt into "the provisions related to police and judicial cooperation..."

I don't know if that gives them any jurisdiction in stamping passports though. Maybe the ferry service I talked to was full of it.

Anyway, it looks like Iceland is a full Schengen member, which would make it our point of entry into that area.

We'll be pt 91 ferry, but I'll probably get the @#%& visa anyway to avoid hassles.

If you get the french visa go to the french embassy website and make an appointment. They get pissy if u don't. Got mine a few months ago cost $76.00 US

The quote from Wiki is followed by the statement that while the UK is not a full member, they did opt into "the provisions related to police and judicial cooperation..."

I don't know if that gives them any jurisdiction in stamping passports though. Maybe the ferry service I talked to was full of it.

Anyway, it looks like Iceland is a full Schengen member, which would make it our point of entry into that area.

We'll be pt 91 ferry, but I'll probably get the @#%& visa anyway to avoid hassles.

Nope, that falls under Immigration not Judicial. Iceland is def OK.

Latest resources

Back