Serious Advice Needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetboy

I am a captain at a "major" regional airline, about 600 out of 2500 or so. I have an opportunity to fly for a local 135/management company, making about $20K less for the first year. It would take me around 4 years to be back at my current salary. Sounds like a no brainer, but read on...

I am a commuter to my airline job, and moving is not an option. I will live where I am forever and under no circumstances will move for a flying job. The 135/management company is an extremely well run company, been in business several decades and has never had financial problems, i.e. furloughs. The airline business as you all know, is subject to anything. I am very familiar with their operations (close buddy already works there and has for several years) and know they are first class. I would have significantly more home time and with a new baby that is my top priority. It would also allow me to persue other interests outside aviation, something that I am wanting to do.

My overall career goals are not necessarily to fly for a major, although if in 5-10 years they are hiring again, I would likely apply. However it is possible that in that time frame I will have gotten out of the industry all together, as that is a definate possibility. Any and all advice is appreciated.

I was with a "major regional" as you put it for 4 years. I held captain on the last bid but have left for a 135/management company. Got typed right off the bat flying a Falcon 50 and 900. To make a long story short, I couldn't be happier! Got tired of working for a company that didn't care who I was or how I was doing. Now I'm part of a company that is happy to see me every time I come out to the airport. It's so nice to have that teamwork feeling again. Anyway, hope this helps a little. Where is the company you have the chance to work for? Later.

EB

As long as the local job is a stable job with adequate, professional, pay I say go for it. Look at the pay this way....Divide total time away from home, door step to doorstep, by the amount you make and come up with your real hourly wage for the total time you invest in working for airlineX. With a QOL factor and no commuting hassles and expenses you could be way ahead with the new job even if the total paycheck is less. Good luck.

QOL & Family = Everything. Especially if they will pay for ALL your training.

What kind of aircraft are we talking about on the 135 certificate? Also, who are your passengers? Remember that with the airline you don't have to worry about PIC: papers, ice, and coffee. However, you make the 135 gig sound pretty good so I may be inclined to take it. One final thing to consider is if your wife works. If she can supplement the 20k, then go for it.

Art V.

Latest resources

Back