Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Twotter76

Masterless Samurai
Hey everyone I have decided to purchase one of these headsets but I don't know which model to buy. I have checked the website and it isn't terribly informative - I know its the HMEC-25 but which submodel? I know that one has a battery pack (not interested) and the other is powered by the microphone bias (this is what I want). Which model would that be? I want that ANR model specifically. I have read previous reviews here on these headsets - does everyone still find them to be worthwhile after extended usage? I have been using Telex 750's and found them to be uncomfortable after about 1.5 hours or so...

Thanks

Twotter76

Senn HMEC-25KA

Twotter,

Good call on the 25's for the CRJ. I use it on the -200 and have no complaints...same thing for the other CAs and FOs I know that use them. The specific model I have is the -25KA w/battery pack. The -25KAS is a stereo model thats about $100 more, and theres no real need for it. I dunno if they make a 25 thats powered by mic bias, but if they do, it would work on the CRJ. It has 31 total db of ANR (15 ANR, 16 passive), which makes it the same as a David Clamp 13.4. I think they're comfortable for long legs. The 2 drawbacks I've found are 1) no ANR auto shutoff and 2) battery cover can be knocked off after you've beat them up in normal use for a while. If the batteries die though, there is no degradation in audio quality, unlike some other ANR headsets. marvgolden.com has the best prices, just call them and ask for the ALPA discount, total damage will be $499 plus shipping.

Most people use either DCs, 750s with/without plugs, or Senns. I tried the new 850s without plugs for a few weeks, and sent them back. 12 db ANR wasn't quiet enough for Vmo in the lower altitudes, and the volume controls were pegged at max.

Hope this helps

Twotter76 said:
Hey everyone I have decided to purchase one of these headsets but I don't know which model to buy. I have checked the website and it isn't terribly informative - I know its the HMEC-25 but which submodel? I know that one has a battery pack (not interested) and the other is powered by the microphone bias (this is what I want). Which model would that be? I want that ANR model specifically. I have read previous reviews here on these headsets - does everyone still find them to be worthwhile after extended usage? I have been using Telex 750's and found them to be uncomfortable after about 1.5 hours or so...

Thanks

Twotter76

I bought the Sennheisers though Sennheiser themselves. You can do it via the ALPA shopping mall on the website but I just called Senn. The price is the same, $500ish, but the benefit is you can spread out the payments over a year interest free... like $40 a month or so. Pretty good for a poor starving FO like me.

Sorry to post this right after others posted what they have been paying.

Try www.aviation-headset.com

I just bought my HMEC25KA for $377.29 including shipping. One thing to note is that these ship with the stereo plug, even if they are wired mono. Depending on the jack in the airplane it works fine, with one ear, or none! The fix is a mono to stereo plug at Radio Shack for $2.00.

I like the headsets, they are very comfortable. They wear like a 750 with an extra headband, but are moderately effective at cutting out noise.

Strange as it sounds, I've gotten the best use out of them at hotels where they put the flight crews by the elevators, or under the washing machines. I put on the KA25's and let the maids listen to me snoring....

~~~^~~~

P.S. The difference between the 45's and the 25's is that the 25's are slightly heavier in exchange for a little better total sound reduction. I use these in my personal airplane too, so I went for the enhanced noise reduction.

Last edited:
Yet another for the Sennheiser's... I usr the HMEC-25-KAP-2.. ANR without the battery pack (hot mic) in the -200.. I got changed from the Telex 850's and the difference is night and day.

Even at Vmo.. you barely hear any background wind noise.. the only comment I have though.. you have to put the int volume a little low side, otherwise you will pick up background static over the intercom.

I did the ALPA mall, and it is about $40 a month for 10 months if I remember, and you get a 5 year warranty (no questions asked) and they tend to replace rather than repair...

Hey Twotter,

Mr. Sis and I heard you in Chicago-land a couple days ago...

I've got the 45-KAS and they're grand! Light-weight and the ANR is pretty good. Probably not as good as the 25 but they don't clamp down as hard. A friend had a pair and he said after a while the cups hurt the top of his ears. You guys probably don't have the old RJS with the old wipers- we have a few and I need earplugs in those airplanes.

Have fun!

Will I be happy with my Bose X in the RJ? I used the Bose in the B1900 and they worked great! In training now and have been looking at the Telex 850, until I saw this post.

CTS said:
Will I be happy with my Bose X in the RJ? I used the Bose in the B1900 and they worked great! In training now and have been looking at the Telex 850, until I saw this post.

I use the Bose X in the CRJ and am quite happy. Its a bit overkill but it is as quite as any hotel room wearing those things even while clipping along at 330 indicated. I've demoed the Sennheiser -45's and was pretty impressed but nothing of that design will ever hold a candle to the Bose. The Telex 850 is junk and will only give you a false sense of security that your not going deaf. What it all comes down to is how much performance are you willing to give up for comfort/looks. You already have the highest performance headset ever built so anything else will be a sacrifice in that department.

Over-the-ear headsets?

Does anyone use an over-the-ear headset, like the Plantronics Starset I? It looks more comfortable than the headband types like the Sennheisers and Telexes. I just ordered one of those, but after reading this thread I'm not sure I should even open it. Is the CRJ cockpit really noisy enough to need speakers on both ears and ANR?

Latest resources

Back