Seniority List Integration Pinnacle & Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello,
Interseting times that we are living and witness to in the airline industry. I am waiting with a pessimistic view of what is going to happen in PCL Holdings future. Not just Colgan Air. I don't think that a staple job is going to serve the interests of either pilot group. Unless there is a perverted desire to punish everyone for the lack of 51% of our pilots not voting. Keeping in mind that if this happens we have to share a cockpit together. We aren't scabs and we didn't do anything wrong or damage your pilot group.
The corporate culture here in CJC is so beyond screwed up that I could write a novel. Maybe, I am opinionated or outspoken on this, but perhaps some of my fellow CJC pilots might agree. They are still in the mentality of having 125 pilots flying EAS in the Northeast in alot of ways. Some of the senior management knows we need to change, but whether their influence or experience will be heeded is an open question. Colgan is "proud" of their long history of "starting" many airline careers, but do they really think that is realistic and reasonable to expect to grow this company to perhaps 1200 pilots flying over 100 aircraft in 5-7 years? Like I said, it is going to be an interesting thing to watch unfold.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

"Where's my stapler?"

office_space_milton.jpg

That would be funnier if I could post an image :)

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentleman,
I copied this from a thread begun by another flightinfo member, so I hope that he isn't thinking I'm trying to steal his thunder:) Some of you guys in CJC that have flown with me or have run into me recently have heard me addressing the biggest enemy to the airline pilot profession. FOREIGN EQUITY IN A UNITED STATES CARRIER.
While we are distracted by other issues affecting our QOL, work rules, compensation, medical benefits, etc... A more insidious ememy is approaching to completley destroy our profession. Take this example; A group of regional airline CEOs testify before Congress that they can no longer find enough "Americans willing to perform the duties of pilots" and seek a change or relief from the rules that do not permit a foreign interest to own the equity stake in a US airline.
I would cast a VERY wary eye on events taking place in China, and what the future could hold for us. In less time than I care to speculate, we could see true Cabotage in the United States with Chinese airliners with Chinese pilots flying LGA-BGM for example. And, worse yet at pay rates that represent a fraction of what we are currently paid.
We shall see how this plays out in the very near future. Unless, we are able to kick them back to the stone age in WWIII, which is also inevitable with China.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

White House Bent on destroying Air Line Pilots via Foreign Control

Foreign Control of U.S. Airlines

UPDATE, December 1 –Despite Congress’s overwhelming bi-partisan opposition, the Bush Administration is reportedly preparing an announcement that it will finalize the rule to allow foreign control of U.S. airlines. The decision of House and Senate Republican leaders to give up on passing the FY-2007 Transportation Appropriations bill --- which includes the prohibition on DOT from issuing a final rule --- has provided the administration a small window of opportunity to push through the controversial NPRM before the Dec. 15 E.U.-U.S. open skies ratification vote. A letter from leading congressional opponents --- Reps. Oberstar (D-MN), LoBiondo (R-NJ), Costello (D-IL), and Poe (R-TX) --- has warned the White House to terminate its plans to issue the rule and to have it formally withdrawn. Click here to read the letter.

https://crewroom.alpa.org/DesktopMod...56& Tabid=251

Ya Colgan is a place where most people want to build time and leave for a major. Some stay longer then others for quality of life reasons, family reasons or just timing when to be junior again.

How many people are coming to Pinnacle that intend on staying for their whole airline career. Not any of the smart ones. The only difference is how quickly they intend to move through to the majors.

As far as merging the two companies I think PCL Alpa would be better served using their time and resources getting a contract for their own pilot group that they seam be failing miserably at and stop worrying about Colgan's pilots and our problems.

I am stunned by the lack of understanding of PCL Corps goals. You guys have it completely backwards. They will never merge Colgan into PCL.

Management's goal is to make every PCL pilot start over as a new hire at Colgan. No staple with longevity, start over as a new hire. It is a game they have been playing with outstation employees and Mesaba for ten years. Lincoln Nebraska was PCL, then Mesaba, then PCL again and is now going back to Mesaba. Every time this happens all the ramp and gate agents get to start over as newhires - with no credit for prior years of service.

The main reason they bought Colgan is it is non union and it was cheaper than starting a new, non union, airline from the ground up. They wanted a non union certificate. They had been pursuing a second certificate for a number of years with the intention of placing all new AC types there. The only AC PCL will ever operate are CRJ's. All new types will go to Colgan. When the CRJ fleet is retired PCL pilots will be told 'you are welcome to apply for a new hire position at Colgan'. NWA just prepayed PCL half its profit for the 10 year service agreement. There is now a lot less incentive for management to keep PCL in business. If the pilots strike management will simply put PCL in bankruptcy and walk away from it.

In short - Colgan is a gun aimed directly at the heads of every PCL pilots family, held by Corp while management says 'empty out your wallet and give up your job'. The only chance PCL has to survive is to take the gun away from management.

I am stunned by the lack of understanding of PCL Corps goals. You guys have it completely backwards. They will never merge Colgan into PCL.

Management's goal is to make every PCL pilot start over as a new hire at Colgan. No staple with longevity, start over as a new hire. It is a game they have been playing with outstation employees and Mesaba for ten years. Lincoln Nebraska was PCL, then Mesaba, then PCL again and is now going back to Mesaba. Every time this happens all the ramp and gate agents get to start over as newhires - with no credit for prior years of service.

The main reason they bought Colgan is it is non union and it was cheaper than starting a new, non union, airline from the ground up. They wanted a non union certificate. They had been pursuing a second certificate for a number of years with the intention of placing all new AC types there. The only AC PCL will ever operate are CRJ's. All new types will go to Colgan. When the CRJ fleet is retired PCL pilots will be told 'you are welcome to apply for a new hire position at Colgan'. NWA just prepayed PCL half its profit for the 10 year service agreement. There is now a lot less incentive for management to keep PCL in business. If the pilots strike management will simply put PCL in bankruptcy and walk away from it.

In short - Colgan is a gun aimed directly at the heads of every PCL pilots family, held by Corp while management says 'empty out your wallet and give up your job'. The only chance PCL has to survive is to take the gun away from management.

This message will fall on deaf colgan ears. It will also be dismissed by many pinnacle pilots that don't know that they are an ostrich.

This message will fall on deaf colgan ears. It will also be dismissed by many pinnacle pilots that don't know that they are an ostrich.

Actually, the vast majority of Pinnacle Pilots get it. Certainly more than 50%.

Hey Yodafly - the 50% of Colgan guys made it tougher for the Pinnacle folks. The very fact that we are fighting with management over something that they can easily afford should tell you something about your unprotected predicament. Don't worry, though, you'll still enjoy our raises and improved work rules that we are fighting for one way or another down the road. We will not sell out despite management's threats to use Colgan against us.

Colgan Organizing Committee - Thanks for all of your work to improve the industry.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back