Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
Im supposed to pick up this Seneca in South Carolina next week, and ive never flown one. Im supposed to go around the pattern a few times with a guy there, but anybody got any tips for flyin one? I gotta bring it from SC to Kansas City. ALl ive ever flown is a Duchess. How much different does it fly? Its either a 1 or a 2, not sure yet

Thanks

I only have a few hours in the Seneca and most of my time is in Duchesses as well, but here are my thoughts:

It's an easy transition. Just learn the new V speeds and for the most part you're all set. You can feel the added power of the Seneca in the takeoff in climb, but other than that it's close enough the same to not be a shock. The biggest problem I had with the transition is learning the new postions of some of the controls, as well as getting a feel for the landing "picture" since the Seneca sits so much lower than the Duchess. You feel like you're going to drive the plane into the runway the first few times you land.

The controls on the Seneca seemed a bit sloppier, but I was flying a crappy Seneca I at the time, so maybe it was just that particular plane.

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's not a huge jump.

Seneca

I'll agree with big D, the seneca feels pretty sloppy. I've only flown a seneca a couple of times and it reminded me of a heavy lance. If your proficient in the twin I don't think you'll have any problems. I split some time in the seneca with a buddy who was getting ready for a 135 checkride. I watched him shoot approaches for an hour then we swithched seats and i did the same. I felt a little behind the plane beacause i was constantly searching for stuff, however i did feel safe.

supsup

DoinTime said:
Yes...they both are critical.

No the critical engine is the one that is still turning. If it quits it is going to take longer to get to the crash site.

Be nice to the Turbo-Charged engines on the Seneca. If you've never flown turbo-charged engines before, get a little dual on them. They are very temperature sensative, and you don't want to pull back the throttles too quickly or else you may shock-cool the motors.

JetPilot500

I instructed in the Seneca, and for the most part, I agree.

Although I wouldn't choose the word "sloppy", there is a marked "heaviness" in the controls, which I liken to a larger Piper like the Chieftan (Navajo). As mentioned above, if it is a Seneca II, figure out a way to get those power settings that you will be shown FIRMLY in your head. Maybe write down the various flight profiles. Like the Navajo, it will take some practice.

Use the checklist. Get ALL of the fuel drains, incliding the crossflow drains just inside the bottom edge of the fuselage, about eight inches from the right wing's inside flap hinge. After startup, put the fuel valves to crossfeed for the taxi, so you know they work, and before you get to the runup area, put them back to normal. They are functioning properly if you get through the entire runup procedure without a problem. At that point, you have practically eliminated a fuel valve problem. DO check density altitude, as it will dictate your single engine performance. Make certain that performance is adequate for conditions. Calculate the accelerate/stop distance. If you have to, sit in the airplane for a while to learn where everything is.

Oh. One of our pilots at my old school discovered how easy it is to check the alternators one at a time, and then inadvertantly leave them both "off". Make sure you have an upscale reading on both meters.

If you turn on the "nav" lights, you may not see the "three green" gear lights at all, since they get "dimmed" automatically. If you think you have a gear problem, check those nav lights FIRST.

That's all I can think of for now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back