• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DAS at 10/250

Coffee, captain?
Just got a call from an old friend,

A seneca crashed about 30 minutes ago into the University of Oklahoma flight department building. No injuries on the ground. RIP to the pilot.

Edit: the pilot was not an OU student. The pilot was said to be an older gentleman with considerable PA34 time.

Oh no! We fly out of OUN pretty frequently. I've alway seen a red and white Seneca sitting out on the ramp that belonged to an older gentelman as well. Sure hope that wasn't him.

Last edited:
Just found this on one of the Oklahoma City news sites - not much information yet.

One Dead In Norman Plane Crash
Witness Says He Saw Plane Clip Terminal Building Before Crashing

NORMAN, Okla. -- The Federal Aviation Administration confirmed Wednesday that at least one person is dead after a twin-engine plane crashed at the University of Oklahoma's Max Westheimer Airport in Norman.

A witness who works at a diner inside the terminal said he saw the plane take off and veer to the east before it clipped the northeast corner of the terminal building.

Cameron Quetone works at Ozzie's Diner inside the terminal facility. Quetone said he heard the engine stop just before the Piper Seneca twin-engine plane hit the corner of the building before it crashed on the east side.

Quetone told reporters that no injuries were reported inside the terminal.

Emergency officials were investigating at the scene late Wednesday.

Picture of the crash sight here:
http://www.newsok.com/

Last edited:
I think that red and white Seneca that you're talking about is a buddy's of mine. The one that went down was different. Sad deal.

RIP to the unfortunate pilot in this mishap. Four and a half years ago I had a similar experience to what it sounds like happened to this guy.
[/QUOTE]
Cameron Quetone works at Ozzie's Diner inside the terminal facility. Quetone said he heard the engine stop just before the Piper Seneca twin-engine plane hit the corner of the building before it crashed on the east side.
I lost the right engine in a PA-23-160 Apache just after takeoff. Low and slow and nowhere to go. The damn thing wouldn't climb cuz I was on a ferry flight and very heavy. It took everything I had to keep it out of the trees long enough to try to put it down in a farm field. Now it's in a junkyard in STL. I got to spend a month in the hospital after two hours waiting to be cut out of the beast. Anyway the feds told me that I deserved a medal for not killing anyone, myself included.
If what the diner guy said is correct then this guy probably didn't have much of a chance at all.

Live to ride, Ride to live.

I lost the right engine in a PA-23-160 Apache just after takeoff. Low and slow and nowhere to go. The dang thing wouldn't climb cuz I was on a ferry flight and very heavy.

Gol-dang, will an apache climb on one in any conditions? Nice job.

hey, is there an 'I survived an engine failure on T-O club"?

Last edited:
GravityHater said:
Gol-dang, will an apache climb on one in any conditions? Nice job.

hey, is there an 'I survived an engine failure on T-O club"?

Umm, yeah, sure, got my membership card around here somewhere... I guess I got lucky by losing one on a 310R, fairly lightweight on a cool morning. That thing climbed right up, around the patch and got my butt back on the ground in one piece. Nice to have 285 hp each side...

jbDC9 said:
Umm, yeah, sure, got my membership card around here somewhere... I guess I got lucky by losing one on a 310R, fairly lightweight on a cool morning. That thing climbed right up, around the patch and got my butt back on the ground in one piece. Nice to have 285 hp each side...
Both of my partners and a passenger got to see one shut down after liftoff at night one winter, taking off from a small airport in Minnesota.

I never quite got the real story from them on "why" the engine quit, but they were able to get it re-lit after they got things settled down.

This was in a turbocharged 320 Skyknight. I think if I had a choice of which piston twin that I would be in at takeoff during an engine failure, I think I would have to say the 300 series Cessna would be the one.

Ive lost an engine in flight in a C172SP. There is an AD for the problem. Pull the power to idle and the engine stops. Had to put it into a field and the plane was substantially damaged. Me and the other guy had cuts, bruises and mild sprains but we were treated and released.

Latest resources

Back