• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senator Strom Thurmond Dies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Irrelevant (appropriate screen name), to label Strom Thurmond as the most racist politician of the 20th century not only displays your total lack of historical education, but your complete ignorance on the topic of the Civil Rights Movement, as well. Apparently you slept through both Political Science and 20th Century US History classes in college.

Paladin,

You'll find I don't use personal insults on this board to prove a point! I'll stand by my statement earlier. We all, politicians or not, are responsible for our actions. From my understanding of history, he was absolutely the number one pro-segregation politician of the 20th century. No other politician I can think of was more vocal in their opposition to black/african-americans being an integrated part of society. Tell me of another politician that ran on a segregationist platform.

I would be very surprised if the majority of the black population in South Carolina voted for him. First because the black population in South Carolina is so poor, very few of them vote. Second, well, let's not kid ourselves, of those black/african-americans in America who voted, 90% didn't vote for Bush in 2000, I doubt Strom carried over 50% of that voting block. I believe that picture in the newspaper simply to be a sound bite on paper. A liberal newspaper could have easily put something inflammatory about Strom on the first page.

Mr. I.

P.S. Let's see if you can respond without an insult this time.

I can't believe some of you a$$holes wish death on somebody. or that it should've happened sooner. I don't care who it is, shame on you.

Other people that ran on a segregation platform?...hum...Geroge Wallace, the entire dixicrat party.

I am in CAE today and they are having the viewing today. It is sure nice to see people come to pay their respects at the capitol. Thats all people, black and white.

If you (guys) haven't ever visited his DC office, do yourselves a favor and go meet the best looking staffers on Capitol Hill before his selections are replaced. He had a great eye for the ladies.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to him on a Piedmont flight back in the 80's (the 1980's) from CLT to AGS. He's a funny character...asking for extra peanuts, then stuffing his pockets full of them.

On the way on to the plane, I introduced myself and said howdy (it was during the Anita Hill hearings, so his recognizability, if not already solidified, was extra-high at the time). I fully expected him to grab a seat in the front, but he followed my date and me all the way to the back of the lightly loaded 737. When we arrived at our seats, he tried to claim mine, the one next to the cute, blonde southern belle. He politely backed off as if doing me a favor and took the seat across the aisle from me. There was about 65 years difference between them. We laughed about that one for awhile.

RIP Senator Thurmond.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back