Senator Strom Thurmond Dies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
chperplt said:
Good riddens to one of the most anti-semetic, racist men in America.
Well, I wasn't going to say that, but...

Anawful lot of people completely forgot that R.M.N. was a crook after he died. (Even Oliver Stone transformed him into a tragic figure...instead of a criminal.)

It's okay to remember the good things Mr. Thurmond did...but let's not forget that he was once America's foremost bigot.

Yes, he hired black staffers, but that's not because he'd had a change of heart. He simply saw which way the political wind was blowing.

I know politics divide us at times but when a man with as much history as Strom passes on can only stop and reflect.

I agree, hands down.... Like him or hate him, republican, democrat, or independant, he still deserves the respect and honor in my opinion. I think he made quite a few contributions to this country and he also "served" to help us have and enjoy the freedom that we currently have present day. Alot of history will always be mentioned when his name is brought up in the future.

c h e e r s

3 5 0

Rest in Peace Strom

Cheers,
Markus

Greenville, South Carolina

AMERICAN by birth...SOUTHERN by the Grace of God

350DRIVER said:
I agree, hands down...like him or hate him, republican, democrat, or independant, he still deserves the respect and honor in my opinion.
I want all you die-hard conservatives to look me straight in the eye and say that when Slick Willie kicks the bucket! :D

The real tragedy here is that his replacment, appointed by the SC governor, might be a Democrat.

Strom retired at the end of the last Congress ... he did not run in the last election and a Republican, Lindsey Graham, was elected to his seat. Strom had been home in SC since January. So the Democratic Governor will not be able to replace him and shift the balance of power.

He did a lot of great things for America in his career and was often a larger-than-life figure in politics. He certainly held some unpopular views in his time, but on the matter of race relations he did experience a transformation from his "Segregation now, segregation forever" past to a more modern, enlightened outlook later in life.

The current governor is a Republican: Mark Sanford. His predecessor was a Democrat (Jim Hodges) - and the only reason a Democrat was elected is that the Republican (David Beasley) before him brought down the Confederate flag flying over the State House - something he explicitly promised not to do.

And for those of you who do not like Strom, I would advise you not to speak ill of him if you are in South Carolina - he was a beloved figure and symbol of our state.

Hey Chperplt- What about Democratic Senator "Sheets" Byrd from W. Virginia? The ol' Grand Wizard never gets the same disrespect as Sen. Thurmond. What a constant moral struggle it must be to be a liberal

Wil

The topic was Thurmond.. My response was about him without thought of anyone else.

What makes you think I'm a liberal?? Not at all.. Just anti racist.

chperplt- OK I see your point. Glad to hear your not a lib! I think your remarks were harsh, though. Afterall, he did have a change of heart.

typhoon- Clinton never treated the Presidency with respect and "honor" is a word that will never appear in the same sentence with Clinton unless it is preceded by the words, "lack of".

Fly safe all- Wil

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back