Seminole Checkride Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boo

I am having difficulty properly wording the answer to an anticipated checkride question. I know the information, just can't put it together to sound right. If someone knows about the Seminole I would love to hear how they would answer the following question on a checkride (oral): Describe the hydraullic system in the Piper Seminole.

Thanks.

Just break it down. Landing gear, brakes, etc. Then go on to explain one of them. If the examiner wants more, they'll ask for it.

Answer

My answer would be:

"The Seminole has 3 separate hydraulic systems: brakes, propeller, and landing gear.

The brakes run off of a master cylinder that is linked to both pedals and hooked to the brake pads.
The propeller is run off a large spring and counterweights that are constantly trying to feather the prop, thus if you lose oil pressure the prop will automatically go into a feather position.
The landing gear runs off a hydraulic, but electrically operated reversible pump. 1800psi holds the gear up, you need at least 600psi to put the gear down."

Let me know of how you other guys would answer this question. Write it out like how you would say it.

DO NOT by any means answer that the prop is hydraulically operated!!!!!

The prop is controlled by the spring and counter weight acting against oil pressure in the prop hub. This should not be confused with hydraulic pressure as it is the same oil that you put into the engine during your preflight.

Other than that the above post is correct. Always keep it simple, never go into details unless they specifically ask for them.

So, are you saying the prop should not be discussed when describing the hydraulic system? I have always answered this questions with braking down the 3 items (brakes, prop, and gear).

I wouldn't mention the prop as being hydraulic during a checkride. The only systems that i can remember on a seminole as being hydraulic are the brakes and the gear. I noticed you flew the ATR, of which i know nothing about so maybe that is where you are thinking of hydraulics driving the prop, but not on the seminole. Just like the Baron i fly, the engine oil drives the prop, not a hydraulic system. The only hydraulic system on the Baron is the brake system.

I can understand where it could have been thought that the prop is hydraulic because it operates in the same manner as a hydraulic system would, but it "technically" is not hydraulic.

Sorry for any confusion, i wasn't trying to be rude... i just don't want this person to go to a checkride and get caught in a trap by the fed as he makes them dig further and further into a hole describing why they think the prop is hydraulic.

Just some more heads up. Another popular question for the seminole is "Where is the circuit breaker located for the heater?" The answer is on the heater itself (in the nose), not on the circuit breaker panel. This prevents the pilot from reseting it mutiple times in a short period of time.

Given your time I assume your going for your private multi. If this question arises on the check ride take the advice of KISS (keep it simple stupid!)

The brakes are pretty straight forward, what the DE is probablly most interested is your knowledge of the gear, (leave the props out unless he asks for them, wether or not they fit the techinical description of being a true hydraulic system is somewhat debateable)

When you answer try to avoid super techinical facts like 1800 psi to raise and 600 psi to lower. Its good information to know but you can't verify the hydraulic pressure in the lines of a seminole while flying. (Unless you have some wierd aftermarket gauge I've never seen) Just know hydraulic pressure holds the gear up and gravity assisted by a spring lowers it. Also know the proceedure for emergency extension and when you pull that knob out all it is doing is equallizing the pressure in the lines (POH has an OK diagram of the system). The gear should come down with 0 psi pressure-600 psi is not required the pump just assists in normal extension.

Most important of all remeber that short final is not the time to trouble shoot a gear problem. Go around, clean up the airplane, talk to ATC, and once every thing is settled down break out the check list and then trouble shoot.

Relax, prepare and you'll do fine!

Seminole hydraulic systems

We used Seminoles at Riddle in the late '80s-early '90s. Everyone used an answer similar to Jordan's when describing the airplane's hydraulic systems. Those who did and answered other questions correctly always passed their orals. I then went to FSI and trained a number of students for their Private multis and Commercial in the Seminoles and they used the same answer. So, three hydraulic systems always seemed to be the universal gouge to me.

I dunno. Define "hydraulic." A system that uses pressure on fluid to provoke and accomplish movement of the components therein? For sure, brakes and landing gear. I don't remember what the POH or the maintenance manual say, but I would go with what is said in them. Maybe ask an A & P who works on the aircraft at your school.

Bottom line: Be humble. Don't be a smartass.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back