SEL add on to ATP MEL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vaflyer

I have a student who is military and currently holds an ATP MEL cerificate. He wants to add a SEL. The way I see it, he really doesn't have a minimum single engine flight time requirement. Any other ideas?

Why would he want to????

The only thing you can do with an ATP that you can't do with a commercial/instrument is fly a JET under 135 or 121!

How many single engine jets are out there flying under 135 or 121? NONE! So there really is no requirement to have an ATP SEL in any operation.

I'm sorry I didn't read your post correctly I though he already had a SEL and wanted to add an ATP to his SEL certificate.

Sorry

SEL Mins

I took my SEL ATP prior to getting my MEL ATP because I never wanted to take the written again. The SEL ATP was the easiest checkride I every took, I took it in a Grumman Tiger fixed gear, fixed pitch pror. The Fed who certified my look book in 1977 just looked for 10 hours of SEL PIC plus all the other stuff 1500 hrs etc. I flew P-3's in the Navy we routinly flew 12-14 hours flights to and from the same base. The first Fed who looked at my log book said I could not count this as X-country since I did not land at another base during the flight. I found another more underatanding Fed. I think if you are flying a SEL airplane that seats more than 10 in passenger service you require the ATP.

vaflyer said:
I have a student who is military and currently holds an ATP MEL cerificate. He wants to add a SEL. The way I see it, he really doesn't have a minimum single engine flight time requirement. Any other ideas?

Check out this thread from last month:

Single Engine Add On

I wish you success!

Latest resources

Back