Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xjt40

A Few Questions for Jet Blue Pilots
I had a few questions about quality of life at Jet Blue during the first few years there , and general movement in seniority , as well as upgrade times.

1. How long would you anticipate reserve to be in JFK, BOS on either plane?

2. Once off reserve how many days off would you get , and would this improve or stay the same.

3. Do you have 1,2,3,and 4 day trips and what does an average 4 day pay in hours?

4. How are the current upgrade times and will this slow up ?

5. What are the growth plans , how many more Airbus deliveries , EMB deliveries, and how many pilots will they top out at?

I had a few questions about quality of life at Jet Blue during the first few years there , and general movement in seniority , as well as upgrade times.

2. Once off reserve how many days off would you get , and would this improve or stay the same.

3. Do you have 1,2,3,and 4 day trips and what does an average 4 day pay in hours?

5. What are the growth plans , how many more Airbus deliveries , EMB deliveries, and how many pilots will they top out at?

1. I think reserve is running 7-8 months now on the bus.

2. Expect about 15ish. May improve to about 17.

3. We have 1,2,3,4,5, and an occasional 6 day. A one day will pay between 4 and 8 hours. Average 2 day is 9-11. A four day runs around 20ish. I just did a 29hr four day.

4. 190 Upgrade will soon be about 2 years. Low now due to the fence, but that's only for a few more months. 320 upgrade, maybe 5-6 years. Hard to guess at that one.

5. Getting about 10 190s and 10 320s per year.

JBs goal was to have 400 aircraft. About 14 pilots per plane is the current target. Equates to 5600 pilots.

1. A January hire I know just got lineholder status in JFK.
2. Off reserve you get 12 days off with a marginal chance of getting released on your last day depending on reserve coverage (which is tight for the summer).
3. All kinds of trips with the "junior" trips getting more unproductive. Most trips pay hard time although we have a "trip rig" which is weak at best right now.
4. Moving target on the upgrade. Depends greatly on if we sell A320s again this year too.
5. A320 deliveries are 10-12 for the next two years I believe, then increase slightly. EMBs are 10,15,18,19 yearly. This info is buried in the Annual Report.

Last edited:
4. Moving target on the upgrade. Depends greatly on if we sell A320s again this year too.

Just curious...were any A320s sold that you had already taken delivery of, or did you sell future delivery positions, or was it some other deal? I've seen this mentioned several times but I'm not sure what it refers to.

Thanks

Lebowski

Just curious...were any A320s sold that you had already taken delivery of, or did you sell future delivery positions, or was it some other deal? I've seen this mentioned several times but I'm not sure what it refers to.

Thanks

Lebowski

You will hear various comments about the sales.
From fleet "renewal/revitalization", to improving the balance sheet (reducing debt) to selling aircraft when they hit the "sweet spot" in resale value.
Fuel prices were spiking at that particular time and A320 values were/are high in the used aircraft market. The truth is probably a little of each. Hopefully the leadership will not sell more than 2-5 a year as we go forward.
These were older airframes, no options sold but there were some deferrals in delivery times.

The May bid for 320 FO's in JFK has Sep 06 hires as the most junior lineholders. It did go to Jan 07 guys for April so it is a little fluid. Reserve in JFK for 320 guys will be a bit longer if they slow down hiring over the summer as planned. Expect 7 months on the good side and possibly close to 10 or 11 if they don't hire many this summer. This of course could all change by next month. The 190 right now is about the same for holding a line if not a month longer.

Latest resources

Back