Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AV8700 said:
ASA has this info on each release.
I wonder what they're gonna fill all the empty space in the remarks section with after we close DFW, and the whole "Depart in DG Mode" paragraph is gone.

Maybe we can have some quotes from our new "Vision" pamphlets or something.

While my wife and I were out walking today, we were discussing all the possible scenarios for this crime. From the obvious murder to obtain the documents, to a love triangle gone bad, a car jacking gone wrong or road rage incident that led to murder/robbery.

One thing I've learned with following cases like this in the news, sometimes you never know what the heck is going on untill it all comes out after an arrest or untill futher information comes out.

Here is one thing I would be carefull of...if this person or persons murdered the FAA guy for the documents, it's not going to be as simple as the murderer showing up and impersonating the dead FAA guy. It's to have access to real live documents as template for forgery.

If these documents are used...it will be as tool to create new documents in the future as a means to fool a flight crew on the ramp of a low security airport or to fool the gate persons of an airline.

Be aware...copies of those documents may show up as forgeries in the future, with fake names and photos on them.

Last edited:
My 2 concerns about this are if it is a terrorist thing. They might be willing to wait a long time(4-5 years maybe?) to let this blow over, then try to use the ID. I also wonder if it would have been taken so they could use it as a template for a forgery. In that case can we ask for other forms of I.D. or better yet, could we get them in the CASS system so they could be verified. This last one sounds the best to me. But can you imagine asking a Fed for more ID. If it comes down to it, and something doesn't feel right I think I would. Wish me luck.

First of all, I thing FN FAL has a good point.

Some things I'd like to add:

Not all terrorrists sypathetic to Al Queda are dark, swarthy, garlicky fellows with questionable English skills.

They could use one of their Asian followers, or sympathetic Chechen.

In other words, don't expect to be able to easily identify an imposter.

If I were to have an FAA jumpseater on now, I would take extra steps to verify their identity, including asking some probing questions about operations.

Imagine those three locked in a cockpit, the fake Fed with some small knife he snuck through security, sitting directly behind them, how hard would it be to take out the flight crew?

mach.32 said:
I also wonder if it would have been taken so they could use it as a template for a forgery.
That would be my main concern as well.

mach.32 said:
better yet, could we get them in the CASS system so they could be verified. This last one sounds the best to me.
Yep, that would be best. And it would mean all of us would need to be in there. Superb idea. That's why you'll never see it in action.

It might be expensive, but I think they should implement an change to the ID's...even if it's just to add a stick on hologram device, like they did to our ID cards not to long ago to prevent tampering with the picture. We have plastic ID cards with picture built into them now.

The only thing I can think of that would assure flight crews and security persons would be an immediate change in the ID's. Then forging the old ones would be a waste of time.

mach.32 said:
But can you imagine asking a Fed for more ID.
So f#cking what? You're a Captain with 12,000hrs (according to you) and you'd have a problem (but do it anyway) asking a Fed for more ID if the situation doesn't feel right. Do you, all of a sudden, forget that you're still in charge when a Fed shows up on your aircraft? I hope I'm reading this wrong!

Where did you get the info?

Okay I read the two aritcles, where did you get the information that the FAA docs you described were missing?

FinalOverERI said:
So f#cking what? You're a Captain with 12,000hrs (according to you) and you'd have a problem (but do it anyway) asking a Fed for more ID if the situation doesn't feel right. Do you, all of a sudden, forget that you're still in charge when a Fed shows up on your aircraft? I hope I'm reading this wrong!
Not long after 9/11, a fed wanted to ride one of our company jumpseats. The captain, exercising all due vigilance, requested additional verification that the guy was legit. The inspector took great umbrage to the captain exercising his responsibilities and tried violating the captain for denying immediate, unrestricted access (albeit temporarily) to the cockpit. (Flight Ops even put out a nastygram reminding crews that feds are to have free reign over our aircraft!) After the captain got his congressman involved, the LOI went away.

Hopefully, current events will force the feds to respect the captain's authority in determining if one of them really is authorized access to the cockpit.

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back