Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sectional Chart Question - Is GPT Class B?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mcochran

I'm looking at a sectional chart on www.aeroplanner.com, and the lines surrounding Gulfport look like those representing Class B airspace, but they're black instead of blue. This might be a dumb question, but what kind of airspace is this?

Not sure about GPT but it sounds like TRSA. Black solid lines.

Didn't look at the chart, but that's my best guess.

-mini

Terminal Radar Service Area (TRSA)

To keep you from having to look it up.

Iceman21 said:
That question really suprises me coming from someone who has 1200 hours. :duuno:

Think Class D airport with radar services and can get your butt on the ground if you go blind.

TSRA's aren't too common and a number of pilots have never seen how they are represented. Although, using the LEGEND could've helped, it is still a question I like to ask my primary students. "What's this?" :)

Thanks to all who left pertinent, constructive responses - I appreciate that. I've never had to deal with a TRSA before, and I didn't have a sectional legend handy at the time I had the question.

I've been reading the forums here for several years, and while there is a wealth of information here, I am always amazed at the level of immaturity displayed as well. Thanks again for the helpful posts - I learned something. To all the holier-than-thou-my-$hit-don't-stink-bitter-aviaton-sages (Iceman) - get a life. I enjoy aviation - I'm sorry you don't.

Last edited:
mcochran, don't lump me into the group of people that are asses on here. I was just stating what I felt. Sorry it felt that way to you. Holier-than-thou? Aviation sage? Riiight. My $hit leaves a horrible stench.

I am glad you learned something new, it gives the day purpose.

BTW- if you are going to be flying into the airport mentioned and you have the ability to on some free time, ask them for an ASR approach. That is if you have never actually done one with a dedicated controller. If you get a chance to do one, and someone else in the plane with you, get under the hood, cover your instruments and get the whole feel of being blinded and having the controller guide you down the approach corridor.

A must do if you get a chance to do one.

Last edited:
Iceman21 said:
A must do if you get a chance to do one.

Have to agree! Right before I signed off a private student for his checkride, I went up with him at night and covered his instruments and we did the ASR. Boy was he shocked when the controller told him to look up and bam...there's the runway.

It's really amazing (to me anyway) that they can be that accurate looking at a little green TV screen from the 70s.

-mini

minitour said:
Have to agree! Right before I signed off a private student for his checkride, I went up with him at night and covered his instruments and we did the ASR. Boy was he shocked when the controller told him to look up and bam...there's the runway.

It's really amazing (to me anyway) that they can be that accurate looking at a little green TV screen from the 70s.

-mini

With some of the antiquated sh!t they have in ATC, it's amazing that more incidents/accidents don't occur. There is some OLD stuff up there!

Latest resources

Back