Second Segment Climb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sled,

you beat me to it...and were much more clear than I could have ever been.

I bow down to you master LeadSled.

Fly

any airport may have any DP gradient and it must be complied with under all engines operating conditions in order to be accepted!!! No matter what the weather is!!!

Loss of one engine is an emergency situation and only required to comply with part 25 certification climb gradients...not TERPS climb gradients.

I will put money on the fact that everyone in this discussion has departed an airport in an aircraft in IFR conditions at a weight and temperature and pressure altitude that if an engine failed the aircraft would not maintain the DP gradient.

Lead Sled said:
...Jeppesen Airport Analysis reports provide escape maneuvers that are not published in any charts we normally carry on the aircraft.......

Sled

Sled

Absolutely great discussion. Frankly, a discussion many 135 operators don't want to understand because they won't like the answer. Anyway, regarding the quote above, how much to the above escape manuvers cost a company to obtain? I know some may be aircraft specific, but others (as I remember from my regional days) seemed to be applicable to almost any aircraft as they generally tried to point you away from terrain and said in big letters EMERGENCY USE ONLY.

Thanks again for a great discussion.
JJ

JumpJetter said:
Frankly, a discussion many 135 operators don't want to understand because they won't like the answer. Anyway, regarding the quote above, how much to the above escape manuvers cost a company to obtain? I know some may be aircraft specific, but others (as I remember from my regional days) seemed to be applicable to almost any aircraft as they generally tried to point you away from terrain and said in big letters EMERGENCY USE ONLY.
Jeppesen doesn't charge a lot for the runway analysis - I think it's $22 per runway.

'Sled

Sled, you killed the discussion

with all of your knowledge and wisdom...all are speachless now. LOL

great posts.

Sorry 'bout that...

I didn't mean to kill the discussion, it's just that we happened to be talking about one of my "hot button" items. Just be glad we weren't talking about weight and balance or aircraft cruise performance. ;)

'Sled

wow

I am reviewing for recurrent and did a search for "net climb gradient" and looky what I found. I'm copy/pasting big chunks of this discussion to print out and take with me when I inevitably start muddling it up. Thanks all...Sled...you're awesome. I think so many people don't understand it because we are never formally taught it with more than a quick summary in initial.

Then you get a problem involving all this stuff and you realize 5 minutes of class was spent defining the terms, and not really discussing the particulars. This isn't something that's pounded into us early in our learning career when we are accumulating ratings and doing written tests. It's a drop of water in the in the firehose spray and you are swamped with at initial. It seems like the subject it is gone over as if you already know it, though many have never used that information before. It becomes a weak area of fuzzy understanding that people avoid and that's where the whole "lets just go and hope we make it" stuff probably comes from. Glad I found this thread.

Blue skies everyone

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back