Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EngineOut

Time to Make the Donuts!
Realizing I'm several years away from worrying about it, but none the less interested: what is a 1-3 year regional or 135 charter/cargo flight crew's ability to get a second job to help make ends meet (i.e., bartending, etc.).

Is there enough off time to put together a day or two of availability for a second employer? Even if it is only nights for a few hours or whatever.

Do any of you have one? If so, I'd be interested to hear what you've found to work well for you.

I just started a second job as a limo driver! It's kind of fun and they're pretty accomodating with my schedule. Good tips too!

Try bartending. You can make anywhere from $150-$250 a nite, mostly cash too. The good thing about it also is you go to a party every time you work.

If you pick the right 135 jobs...

...you won't need to moonlight to make ends meet.

When you're waxing on and waxing off, over at the car wash, just thank all your brothers for working for nothing in 135...pulling your wages down into the gutter with them, as they sold their souls to the devil. They are all FO's over at some regional now...pontificating on the scab lists they carry with them and whining about Freedom pilots and the MESA TA. The hypocrites.

I never made less than 32,000 a year in 135. Never needed a part time job while flying it either. So I can't help you out there, but I guess If I had to...I would moonlight on the weekends flying the King Air 90 over at the skydiving place or freelance flight instruct.

Ding, PIES are done!

You can become a financial advisor and work on your time off. All you do is set up an appiontment with families that need help with their debts and boom you got extra cash in your pocket.

Look up www.Primerica.com they can help you out.

Moonlighting

When I was instructing, I sold insurance. As with most insurance companies, you operate as an independent contractor allowing you to set your own schedule. The company I represented specialized in health and life insurance for the agricultural industry and self-employed people. I am in a part of Texas that is primarily agricultural, so I was able to close most of the appointments I went on. The District Manager and the company were exceptional at understanding my situation and never put any pressure on me to be some top sales pro while also giving me qualified and interested leads for prospective customers. Average commissions for this type of work are about $500 per sale, so closing 1 or 2 a week really helped out. I'm pretty sure there are organizations like these throughout the country, so finding one in your area may not be a problem. However, do your homework on companies. There are alot of fly-by-night groups in insurance, so be careful. Good Luck!
http://www.farmranchhealthcare.com
-TX_Pilot

Primerica

Isn't primerica pay for training? I got dragged into one of their meetings only to find out that I would have the opportunity to pay $200 to be on the bottom of a mutli-level org.

Primerica

Yes, you do have to pay $200 dollars for the testing fee, but the test actually costs $500. The company picks up the rest. The company figures that if a person doesn't have anything to lose most are not going to give their 110%.

$200 is nothing compared to all the $$ it costs to become a pilot. As a matter of fact, I wish I had every dollar I every spent and put it into something useful.

It's not PFT, it's just a fee and you can even get it reimbursed after 120 days.

Give a try!

72;)

Latest resources

Back